Question unable to start Thermaltake SP-750P ATX power supply

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I have a never been used 750W SP-750P ATX power supply. It was purchased new years ago. I tried to start this power supply.
On the 24 pin connected, I shorted the pin #16 (PS_ON) to pin #15 (com).
I connect the power to 110VAC. Turn the switch on.
Nothing happened. Tried to contact Thermaltake customer service, no response.
Did I do something wrong there? Thank you.

Nope that is the magic combination, hate Thermaltake, the most garbage components ever, it just probably died 2 months after you bought it or it arrived dead... Never buy anything TT, massive garbage. They can't even make simple Cpu cooler not to short your Motherboard, what about complex PSU, if by chance it has warranty get rid of it, if not into.... the garbage where it was before they sold it to you :/

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
We tried plug the SP-750P to 110AC power. Turned on the power switch.
Shorted pin #16 (PS_ON) to ground pin #15 (COM)
Nothing. The power supply does not go on.

Email Thermaltake technical support. No response.
Post questions to Thermaltake community forum. No response.
What can we do?

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
We are in Silicon Valley, California. We are unable to get any response from Thermaltake. Why?

We are looking for larger fan diameter for quietness. This Thermaltake SP-750P has 6" diameter fan for quiet running.

Which combination of ATX case and 750W+ power supply combination do you recommend?

We are in Silicon Valley, California. We are unable to get any response from Thermaltake. Why?

We have people here from all over the world, and the market is very different in, say, Serbia, when compared to, for example, Malaysia.

We are looking for larger fan diameter for quietness. This Thermaltake SP-750P has 6" diameter fan for quiet running.

The fan can't be 6" diameter. The PSU isn't even 6" wide!!! 140mm fans in power supplies are very common.

Which combination of ATX case and 750W+ power supply combination do you recommend?

I don't recommend case/power supply combos because 99% of the time, the PSU they use in the case is garbage.

Inventory levels in the U.S. have been pretty bad due to COVID-19.

The only PSU Newegg has in stock right now is this Corsair CX550M: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx550m-550w/p/N82E16817139147?Item=N82E16817139147

Apparently, Microcenter has the same PSU in stock, but it's $10 more there.

Microcenter also has this PowerSpec 650W Gold: https://www.microcenter.com/product...tt-80-plus-gold-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

Best Buy has the Corsair RM750 in stock: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...ar-power-supply-black/6356248.p?skuId=6356248

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Corsair CX550M has 120mm fan that is tiny 4.5 inch fan. Hate that whining loud noise.
Microcenter 650W Gold has 135mm 5.3 inch small fan.
Corsair RM750 also has 135mm small fan.
Only interested in LARGE diameter fan Power Supply, MUST be very quiet. No more cheap tiny whining fans please.
At least the dead Thermaltake 750W has 150mm 6 in fan.
When other similar Thermaltake models working in other offices in this building, it is reasonably quiet.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Corsair CX550M has 120mm fan that is tiny 4.5 inch fan. Hate that whining loud noise.
Fan noise and it's diameter don't go along well when you can't control it, i.e when it's in the PSU and it's the PSU that controls it's RPM, therefore you should look for the acoustic performance / fan curve of PSU itself, not the size of it's fan. We don't have reviews for Microcenter PSUs (assuming you mean PowerSpec) aside of PSX-GFM which performs fine noise-wise and otherwise but i reckon you're looking at another PSU. Corsair RM is also very quiet. But Corsair CX-m isn't so if these are your only choices and they cost similiarly then i'd suggest going for Corsair RM as it's well reviewed.

Reactions: jonnyguru
At least the dead Thermaltake 750W has 150mm 6 in fan.

No it doesn't.

It has a 140mm fan. Says so right on their website: https://www.thermaltake.com/smart-m-750w-bronze.html

Where the HELL are you getting 6" from?!?!?? A PSU isn't even 6" across!!!!!

And the difference between 135mm and 140mm is only the bolt patter. Fan blade diameter is the same in both cases.

And, as @What a shame points out, fan diameter is not a direct correlation with fan noise.

Youy have to take account the efficiency of the PSU, which equates to the amount of heat the PSU produces itself, the fan controller, the fan blade design, which points to CFM and static pressure.... You are getting expert advice and you're choosing to ignore it for God knows what reason.

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Thermaltake claimed since we do not have original invoice or purchase receipt, they will not honor any warranty. Now these Thermaltake power supplies are junk.

Think twice buying this brand. Highly NOT recommended.