Question Unable to startup windows 10 without pressing F12 and picking my hard drive

migtrader

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Hello

I have an old Dell Optiplex 390 with Win10, I5, 500gb HDD, 8gb RAM. (Hand me down to my kid)
About a year ago the motherboard went bad, I went online found the identical MB and swapped it out.
I did nothing additional than reconnecting cables.
The machine powered on but I get an error.
"PXE-E61 media test failure check cable
PXE-M0F exiting PFE ROM
No boot device found press any key to reboot the machine"

At this point I restart and hit F12 to manually choose the hard drive and start win 10. The machine and operating system work prefect after that. (I have to do everytime I restart or power up)
I’ve tried looking online for solutions… found "maybe the hard drive is loose" check that.... "maybe there’s a loose cable" check that.... go into your BIOS "make sure your hard drive is listed as number 1 in boot sequence" check that...I even reinstalled win 10 ...(without wiping personal files) check that...still getting the error and unable to boot without F12.
I’m at the point of wiping everything and doing a clean install of WIN 10 but not sure that will help. Maybe getting a new HDD but it works fine when running.
Whatever advice can be offered would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

M

migtrader

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Inside the bios select your hdd to be higher on the priority list to boot from if you haven’t already done so.
47126271161_1488e723c0_m.jpg

Did that originally (nothing), here's a screenshot of the boot sequence.

TRENDING THREADS