Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
I recently purchased:
24" Monitor

I was previously using:
27" Monitor

This is my video card:
Radeon HD 7970

I plugged in the 24" and made it the primary no problem.

Then I reformatted due to Windows being Windows. When I reformatted I used ONLY the 24" monitor via DVI. After complete reinstallation I plugged in my 27" via mini DisplayPort to HDMI again and it defaulted the 27" to the primary monitor. I went into my Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and selected "Make Primary" for my 24", and both monitors went black. I waited a minute and nothing changed (hoping for that revert you want but never need). Rebooted the system and it defaulted again to the 27" as primary.

To try and keep it concise here is what I've tried always resulting in the same as the above mentioned:

• Unplugged 27", 24" became primary, plugged 27" back in and it became primary
    Reinstalled CCC (includes all drivers)
    Tried an older version of CCC
    Checked BIOS for some type of monitor identification. None found.
    Changed 24" to HDMI and 27" to DVI
    Changed 24" to HDMI and 27" to HDMI
    Physically removed video card, rebooted, then reinstalled

My 24" is for gaming and with the new 144hz provides a refreshingly crisp and smooth picture. Now I'm unable to use it with multiple monitors.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AMDAlexK

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
Are they different resolutions? i had the same problem with my 1440p 27 inch monitor and 720p 19 inch monitor. nothing would show up on either of the monitors when both were plugged in. I think the best solution is simply to return one of them and get another one with same brand and model. Even if they are the same resolution, it can still have problems sometimes.

Hope this helped-
Alex

reddog69x

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

Thanks for the response Alex! That is my last resort resolution, and I am hoping someone has had some experience with this problem. I'm banking on it being software-related as it worked with my previous Windows install on the same hardware setup.

TRENDING THREADS