Question Unable to Sync Time. Please help?

AllisonKush

Prominent
Dec 1, 2021
Hello everyone. I am here asking for help today because I am unable to sync my time on Windows 10 home. When I click to sync it attempts to for a long time but then it says it failed. I have tried resetting windows time service as well as changing time servers. I am have ran out of fixies that I found on google. I need my time sync to play New World. I was able to play it when it first came out. But now I need to sync my time to play. It says the last time sync was in 2015. If you know any way for me to fix this please let me know.

AllisonKush

Prominent
Dec 1, 2021
sound like you already tried this:
automatically starting the time service and reregistering the service? like from here:
Time Synchronization Failed - Microsoft Community

basic sequence of commands:
start cmd.exe as admin
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time
w32tm /resync
then check the system time.
net stop w32time

w32tm /tz

run w32tm.exe /?
to see options. there is a debug option to log info to a file
but I have never tried using it to see how helpful it is.
(just looked at the debug option, not very useful, showed ip address and socket number of the time server)

w32tm /query /source
showed the name of the time server being used
in my case
time.windows.com

you should also boot into bios and check that the system time and date are correct. then shutdown, disconnect the power, then repower back up and go into bios and check the data and time again and confirm they are still correct.
(motherboard cmos button battery should last 4 or 5 years then has to be replaced) I think these are 2032 batteries
windows time server should still work though but they get attacked by hackers to screw up systems.

you can download the windows image directly from microsoft without needing to buy a new key. use the link provide by the last post:
Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
you can enter in your old key or skip it and log in with your microsoft account and your system should get validated from your past use of the key. (same hardware)

Last edited:

AllisonKush

Prominent
Dec 1, 2021
sound like you already tried this:
automatically starting the time service and reregistering the service? like from here:
Time Synchronization Failed - Microsoft Community

basic sequence of commands:
start cmd.exe as admin
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time
w32tm /resync
then check the system time.
net stop w32time

w32tm /tz

run w32tm.exe /?
to see options. there is a debug option to log info to a file
but I have never tried using it to see how helpful it is.
(just looked at the debug option, not very useful, showed ip address and socket number of the time server)

w32tm /query /source
showed the name of the time server being used
in my case
time.windows.com

you should also boot into bios and check that the system time and date are correct. then shutdown, disconnect the power, then repower back up and go into bios and check the data and time again and confirm they are still correct.
(motherboard cmos button battery should last 4 or 5 years then has to be replaced) I think these are 2032 batteries
windows time server should still work though but they get attacked by hackers to screw up systems.

you can download the windows image directly from microsoft without needing to buy a new key. use the link provide by the last post:
Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
you can enter in your old key or skip it and log in with your microsoft account and your system should get validated from your past use of the key. (same hardware)
What do I do when I get this "The following error occurred: The specified service has been marked for deletion. (0x80070430)" after the PS C:\Windows\system32> w32tm /register?

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Have you checked your date and time?

Simple solution is to set the date and time manually and then try to sync the time. Windows may not sync if the date/time is more than one hour sometimes. When you shutdown your system for any period of time, check the date/time again to see if it is correct. If it has lost time, then you will need a new CMOS battery.