[SOLVED] Unable to transfer files from supposedly dying HDD

Tamble9

Commendable
Mar 8, 2021
Hello!

So I bought a 4tb Seagate HDD about four months ago and it has worked fine until today. I was watching a movie that was on the drive when suddenly the movie stopped (unable to keep playing) and the drive kept making this hitching noise. (You can ignore the sound at 6-7s, it's me moving in my chair) I ran SeaTools and sure enough, it failed the "Long Generic" test saying there might be bad sectors. I then immediately started transferring files to another drive to try and backup everything. This worked fine for a while and it managed to move about 400gb of data, but then it started making that same noise again and wouldn't continue transferring the files, giving this error. (Sorry it's in Finnish, it says: "Error 0x800701B1: the specified device does not exist"). Now when I try to transfer anything from it, it works well for some time, but after moving around 10gb or less, the sound reappears, the transfer fails and it gives that same error.

I installed Unstoppable Copier to try to move files with it and got basically the same results, but this time (after moving about 10-11gb) the transfer wouldn't fail, instead the transfer speed would go to zero and it would keep repeatedly making that same sound in 15s intervals trying to get the transfer speed back up. UC didn't report any corrupted bytes/files, but the sound sounded so "dangerous" to me that I halted the transfer.

I'm still able to access all the files and open/play them for a bit, so I don't think they're corrupted? I just can't move them anywhere.

What would be the best way to backup everything?

Image of the drive's info

Solution
sounds like the drive is dying for sure. the best thing to do is what you are doing now. move small amounts and hope it lasts long enough to finish.

obviously i'd move the most important things to you first. let it rest a while and try again. one thing at a time and maybe you get lucky. if the drive is dying no software is going to help since this is a hardware issue

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sounds like the drive is dying for sure. the best thing to do is what you are doing now. move small amounts and hope it lasts long enough to finish.

obviously i'd move the most important things to you first. let it rest a while and try again. one thing at a time and maybe you get lucky. if the drive is dying no software is going to help since this is a hardware issue

Solution