Question Unable to update display drivers

May 5, 2019
Hi guys!
I have this problem from 2 weeks. I reinstalled windows 10 64bit on my Lenovo Y520 laptop, because my battery wasn’t working properly. After the reinstall my display driver was “Microsoft Basic Display adapter”. I managed to install nvidia driver on my pc and all of the windows updates passed ok except the intel- display one. When it tries to update my vga to intel from windows updates, in the middle of the installation my screen flashes and goes black. Even if I restart my laptop the screen is still black the only options are to boot in safe mode and that way its not black screen, system restore or reinstalling windows which I did like 5 times. 1 year ago I remember I had nvidia driver but also I had intel driver that allowed me to connect another monitor and change my resolution and a whole bunch of settings while the nvidia was kinda like for gaming and stuff like that. After reinstalling tho I can’t manage to get it working properly, the nearest point was when I installed nvidia driver it worked for a hour and then I couldn’t connect to another monitor via HDMI, couldnt ajust my brightness or my resolution, so I desided to upgrade “microsoft basic display adapter” driver and again the result was black screen. I’ve also tried replacing it with intel generation deriver and I get the same result, even if I uninstall this driver when I restart my pc it hops back again. If anyone can help me I’m ready to pay the nearest, tech guy wants 25£ for diagnostics only and I need to fix it soon, because I have a report on cyber security 😂. Thanks guys❤

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Ti
CPU: Intel core i7

Last edited:
The ability to switch between two onboard GPUs is called Optimus and is a power saving feature. NVIDIA supports Optimus, buts it's important to use only the drivers supplied by Lenovo, so the NVIDIA and Intel drivers don't clash. https://www.drivers-lenovo.com/lenovo-legion-y520-15ikbn-laptop-video-graphics-driver/ . If this is what you are doing, then the problem is probably with your reinstall. A reinstall is not the same as a clean install, and sometimes causes as many problems as it fixes. If using the Lenovo drivers doesn't work, then I see a clean install in your future. BTW make sure you remove the NVIDIA drivers using this method, as NVIDIA usually leaves it drivers on your hard drive even after you uninstalled them. https://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Nvidia-Drivers

Reactions: Morke97 and AllanGH
May 5, 2019
The ability to switch between two onboard GPUs is called Optimus and is a power saving feature. NVIDIA supports Optimus, buts it's important to use only the drivers supplied by Lenovo, so the NVIDIA and Intel drivers don't clash. https://www.drivers-lenovo.com/lenovo-legion-y520-15ikbn-laptop-video-graphics-driver/ . If this is what you are doing, then the problem is probably with your reinstall. A reinstall is not the same as a clean install, and sometimes causes as many problems as it fixes. If using the Lenovo drivers doesn't work, then I see a clean install in your future. BTW make sure you remove the NVIDIA drivers using this method, as NVIDIA usually leaves it drivers on your hard drive even after you uninstalled them. https://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Nvidia-Drivers

I tried to install the nvidia and it works, but when I try to install the intel vga it just goes black screen in the middle of the installation. (You know how the screen flashes a couple of times and then its ok,well mine flashed once and the second time went black screen). Also sorry for misleading, I installed a clean version of windows using “win media creation” and a usb, deleted all the partitions and everything. The first thing was to try the drivers given by lenovo.

Edit: tried to uninstall microsoft basic display adaptor and install the intel vga from lenovos website, it installed it this time the screen flashed and was ok, but 5 seconds after I clicked finish it went black screen again.

Last edited: