Unactivated accidental purchase of Win 7 Pro, can I trade-in for 8.1?

johnnywayne

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I ordered a custom computer and accidentally ordered Win 7 Pro instead of 8.1. I haven't activated it yet though or installed anything on it.
It has been installed on the system though. Is there anyway to send that activation code to them (like a return, even though I didn't buy it from them.) so they could cancel the code or something and let me download a Win 8.1 .iso and activation instead or am I stuck with this or paying for an upgrade?

Or would you just stick with 7 pro? If yes, do you mean you would stick with 7 even if they would exchange it or you would stick with it rather than paying for 8 if they wouldn't? I don't see myself paying for 8 unless I run across better reasons than I've seen so far. Admittedly, I haven't spent much time with it though.

Thanks for the help.

-jw

johnnywayne

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
The company I bought it from isn't going to do anything, they are horrible, I was just too lazy to build this one. I was hoping Microsoft could see that it hasn't been used and just erase that code (or whatever they do) and give me a new one for 8. But I haven't heard about this free upgrade to 10. I'm perfectly happy with 7, I just noticed that my new motherboard could only do some of it's newer features with 8. I'll definitely wait then. Thanks.