Unallocated Partition after 850 Evo SSD Windows 10 install

TeaSponge

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Hi,
Windows Disk Management says I have an 29.82GB Unallocated Disk after installing Windows 10 on a brand new Samsung Evo 850 (500GB). This shows up as a separate disk to the OS - see image.

66i879.png

Can I combine Disk 1 with Disk 0 and use the extra 29.82GB?
And can someone explain what the 3 different Partitions on Disk 0 are for?

Thanks!

Solution
It's an SSD caching drive in mSATA slot, to boost mechanical drive performance, don't think you need set it up back to caching since you're system is running on an SSD now. You could just format it and use it as extra storage or load another small system on it like a linux distro in dual boot set up. (right click on drive where it says Disk1 28 GB, assign it a drive letter, create partition, format it and start using it if needed).

Does SSD Caching Improve Speed With Other SSDs?
SSD caching is only designed to accelerate a computer when it runs a hard drive in tandem with an SSD. If you buy another SSD and use it to cache a larger SSD, you won’t notice a difference in speed and probably won’t be able to configure caching in the first...

TeaSponge

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
There's nothing connected into the computer. I'm also on a laptop and recently swapped my HDD to an SSD.
I've read that the mSata is used with HDD to store boot files for quicker startup - I'm guessing this is it?
Is there any way I can use this space in the future?

2111dsw.png

R0GG

Distinguished
It's an SSD caching drive in mSATA slot, to boost mechanical drive performance, don't think you need set it up back to caching since you're system is running on an SSD now. You could just format it and use it as extra storage or load another small system on it like a linux distro in dual boot set up. (right click on drive where it says Disk1 28 GB, assign it a drive letter, create partition, format it and start using it if needed).

Does SSD Caching Improve Speed With Other SSDs?
SSD caching is only designed to accelerate a computer when it runs a hard drive in tandem with an SSD. If you buy another SSD and use it to cache a larger SSD, you won’t notice a difference in speed and probably won’t be able to configure caching in the first place. This concept only accelerates computers running on hard drives
>> https://www.maketecheasier.com/everything-need-know-ssd-caching/

Solution