[SOLVED] Unallocated Partition difficulties

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Hello.

I have installed two additional HDDs in my Windows 7 PC; a 10TB NAS drive and an old, but gently used 3TB drive that I shucked from an external case.

Now; the 3tb drive the copmputer asked me to format and I set it up for GPT or tried to. But looking in disk management, it appear neither took.

The 3TB has all the hallmarks of an MBR drive with 2Tb in the primary and an unallocated 746ish gb. The 10TB NAS has a 2Tb unallocated partition and another 7Tb unallocated.

I looked online and found this windows MBR2GPT.exe program; but it seems to be windows 10 only. I also found many references to a program called AOEMI, which were ads disguised as help articles and that seems sketchy to me. Right now, none of the options to go forward seem to be available; everything is greyed out.

Thanks for your time and any help you may be able to offer.

Solution
Toggle the "MBR On/Off" button, then Apply Changes. Exit DMDE, reboot, and re-examine the drive with Disk Management. Hopefully there will now be no partitions, in which case you should be free to repartition in GPT mode.

BTW, I'm assuming that there are no data that you need to save.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Right, here we go...
eKj1OSB.jpg

Toggle the "MBR On/Off" button, then Apply Changes. Exit DMDE, reboot, and re-examine the drive with Disk Management. Hopefully there will now be no partitions, in which case you should be free to repartition in GPT mode.

Solution

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020

BAM! That did it! Thank you very much! You have both been very helpful!