[SOLVED] Unallocated space won't be used

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
When i was going through disk management I saw one of my Hard drives having unallocated space, but It seems that it won't be used no matter what I do, I tried extending one of the partitions to add the unallocated space to it but it keeps giving me "not enough space to complete this operation", I tried making a new partition with the un-allocated space but still gives the same error.
QVpmsp7.png

uerEgQa.png

Solution
You're still referring to the 165.18GB partition on Disk 3?

Right click on that space, and select New Simple Volume.
Or
Wipe the whole drive. Commandline diskpart, and the clean command. Be absolutely sure of which drive you are accessing. That is a one way trip to an empty drive.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
OK, that pic wasn't there when I looked initially.

This HDD is verified to be the ONLY drive physically connected?
What SATA port is it in?
Sorry about the pic I edited to add it back in.
About the HDD yes the only HDD physically connected is the 2TB one in SATA port 0 (my motherboard is B360 Aorus gaming wifi 3 in case you need a clear picture of the board structure )

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Verify cable connections at both ends
Try a different SATA port
If possible, try a different HDD, just to see if it shows up
I have 3 HDDs and 4th SSD so I don’t think sata cables could be the problem or 4 cables are faulty at the same time, I tried physically plugging each HDD at a time and still detecting only my usb to boot from

USAFRet

Titan
I have 3 HDDs and 4th SSD so I don’t think sata cables could be the problem or 4 cables are faulty at the same time, I tried physically plugging each HDD at a time and still detecting only my usb to boot from
Just to rule out your current Win 10 USB, can you create a Linux USB to run?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Just to rule out your current Win 10 USB, can you create a Linux USB to run?
I figured the problem it was the dumbest thing on my side, I'm extremely sorry for wasting your time. It turns out that the power cables were disconnected from all 3 of my HDDs and I did not notice until now, I've managed to connect everything and installed the Os on SSD successfully, Although regarding the main topic I formatted both Partitions and can't seem to add the unallocated space to any of the partitions nor create a new volume
G88hCWX.jpg

USAFRet

Titan

Or
Wipe the whole drive. Commandline diskpart, and the clean command. Be absolutely sure of which drive you are accessing. That is a one way trip to an empty drive.

Solution

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

Or
Yes referring to Disk 3, I tried for the unallocated to go for a new simple volume but it gives me "Not enough space to do this operation" error.
i'll try the clean command

Edit: Thank you so much, I appreciate all your effort and time you gave for me, finally after doing as you suggested with the clean command the disk management asked me to choose partition type (MBR or GPT) and then allocated all the space in one partition. Again thank you so much

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS