Unallocated storage drives

FireCat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Recently completed a rebuild of an XP system
The only thing changed out was the motherboard due to a couple of bad capacitors
The bad mb was replaced with the same make and model, but it is a v1, not a v2
Understand from reading about these mbs is the only difference between the two is the v2 has a convenient CMOS reset jumper and the v1 does not, the rest of the boards’ design is the same

The system uses a sata hdd on channel 1 as the OS, with MS Office 2003 and Norton 2009
There is another hdd on the mb’s IDE 1 and it’s used for editing and has minor programs loaded on it
There are two additional IDE hdds on a PCI controller card that are used for storage only

After the rebuild, if the two PCI hdds are plugged in before booting, the booting stops at Verifying Pool Data … Non System Disk …
When I unplug them, the system boots normally

Now the two PCI controlled hdds read as unallocated when plugged in using an external enclosure, on any system in the room
The data on both the drives needs to be recovered

How do I recover the files on these drives?

In your BIOS, check the boot device order, select the SATA HDD, then increase the time delay for detecting HDDs to 15 or even 30 seconds - you're using a PCI controller card.

External enclosure: I don't think the data is gone, put them back to the internal connection they were on before.

FireCat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[In your BIOS, check the boot device order, select the SATA HDD, then increase the time delay for detecting HDDs to 15 or even 30 seconds - you're using a PCI controller card.

External enclosure: I don't think the data is gone, put them back to the internal connection they were on before.]

Thanks for the reply:

Award BIOS
The current BIOS boot settings:

First Boot Device [Floppy]
Second Boot Device [SCSI] (this setting boots the system from the channel 1 sata)
Third Boot Device [CD]
SATA/RAID/SCSI Boot Order [SCSI]
Boot Up Floppy Seek [Disabled]
Password Check [Setup]
Boot To OS2 or DR-DOS [No]
Flexible AGP 8x [Auto]
Init Display First [PCI]

There is no setting for increasing the time delay