Question Unavoidable FPS Drop in every games

Aug 26, 2019
Hello there ! It's been a few months that I'm fighting with a problem I never had before. After all the damn topics about it on the internet and non of the solutions working, I'm desperetly posting here, looking for some help. For almost a year now, my computer is suffering from sudden FPS drops, on every single games. It happens randomly, and the FPS drops from 60 to like 15/20 fps for about 4/5 seconds, and then everything come back to normal.

I had a lot of ideas and tried a lot of solution such as :

- Update eveything, from windows update to all the drivers, including the GPU.

- Clean the the inside and the ventilation of the computer.

- I checked the temperature, but everything seems well, it is even more weird that the drops happens even on very small games, even a few minutes after they lunch, and the laptop is still cold.

- Yesterday, I uptated the BIOS, but it seems like it hasn't done anything.

A few days ago, I also noticed that when I play with my laptop unplugged, the fps are lower ( around 30 fps on every games ) but the drops never happen once. So I thought it was a battery problem, but I tried many battery options, full performance, 100% CPU minimal use, deactivate the cooling option by slowing down the CPU, and a lot more... Also tried some game booster, to see if it would do something, but surprisingly.. no.

So, after all of these try, I was hopping someone could help me because there isn't one post on the internet about this I haven't checked..

Here is my dxdiag :

DXDIAG

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
I had the same experience as you, tried these steps and everything is going very well since then.
Are you sure that your laptop is using the nVidia GPU?
  • Plug it in and put it on the High Power mode
  • Add every app on the nVidia's control panel on high performance mode
  • Search for "Graphics Settings" in the windows search bar, open it, browse for the apps/games and put it on the high power profile also
And another note, when you are on battery, the windows automatically switches to Power saving mode and runs on the Intel graphics card. That's why it is limited to stable 30fps

Last thing make sure that you are on the right drivers for your NVIDIA GPU.
Good luck

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
As I said guys, if this was an issue about v-sync or nvidia drivers, I wouldn't have post here.. I'm used to pc gaming and this is the first time I see this. I said it drops from 60 to 15/20 cause I play with vsync on, when it's off, I go from 100+ to something between 15/30 max. Also I update my gpu drivers everytime, and make sure that every single game I launch is with my nvidia gpu and not my intel chipset.

I have left my power mode on High Performances, and just discovered thanks to you the graphics settings option on windows. I will try in addition of the nvidia control panel, and will keep you informed !

Thanks

Last edited: