Unboxed! AMD Ryzen 7 2700X & Ryzen 5 2600X 2nd Gen Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Nuocmam

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Don't a lot of peeps use AIO instead of a fan? Such a waste if these coolers are just thrown away! Ridiculous. I buy last gen cuz no cooler to throw away!

alextheblue

Distinguished
I would argue that the 4-screw mounting can actually be more annoying in some cases. By cases, I literally mean cases. It's not a problem when you're assembling fresh but when you go to upgrade in certain chassis it can potentially be a tad annoying. Like in the last mITX chassis I worked with, if a user were to later remove the heatsink (for an upgrade) the bracket would drop and it's tricky to get underneath it and support it with the PSU installed. You can do it with a screwdriver but you have to be careful and have to support it with one hand while you screw the heatsink down.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
It isn't very encouraging that they are still suppressing the benchmarks this close to release... Can you please add DCS World 2.5 VR to your bench suite when you test? It is a CPU taxing simulator and AMD has struggled in it in the past. I need to build a new rig soon and this sim is my main focus.

NDA restrictions have always been a thing, reviews, at least official, are never posted pre-launch.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Looks like a typical die-shrink. The process seems to be more stable since they can support a higher wattage than the 1st generation Ryzen Processors.
AMD has been binning their CPUs for a long time now. As they ship is close to how they will OC.

alextheblue

Distinguished

That's obviously very intentional. :) They are giving more users a reason to consider the X models while keeping costs of the non-X fairly low. The non-X is still going to appeal to two value conscious groups: Users who overclock and bring their own cooling to the table (the stock heatsink becomes a paperweight) and those who don't overclock much or at all but need the best bang for the buck (pour the money saved into other parts of the system).

The X models are still great for those with a little more cash to burn. You get the best stock experience and more cooling headroom without needing an aftermarket cooler. They also are there for those who are interested in the best-binned chips for some more aggressive overclocking attempts. Either way the stock AMD coolers in recent years have been pretty decent. I built a 2200G system for my dad and I'm very pleased. Overall it's pretty impressive for a budget system.

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

I'm thinking of building one myself. Will upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700 non-x once it's released. Hopefully, GPU price would settle down to saner levels by then!

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I wouldn't argue Coffee lake isn't interesting. The 8350k is fascinating for instance. But if, AMD can finally meet intel equally(or nearly so) on an IPC basis and get their chips to overclock to something like 4.5ghz, then the price advantages and the advantages in motherboard reciprocity sure become compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.