[SOLVED] Uncomfortable Hot Air Coming from PC

taylor.willcoxen

Prominent
May 9, 2018
I'd like to start by saying this is probably a really stupid question, but I'd appreciate any help I can get.
I'm having issues with feeling the heat from my PC. I've done simply diagnostic tests? like CoreTemp app and Afterburner to check temp of GPU And CPU and they are well within normal ranges. (40-70 C).
I recently upgraded my PC. The parts I upgraded to include a i7-9700k CPU, MSI RTX 2070 GPU, and a ROG Z390-E Motherboard. I also purchased a Corsair H60? I believe, liquid cooling unit.
I've noticed big heat waves ever since upgrading my parts. I can physically feel the hot air kind of flowing to my face and it's very uncomfortable.
I never noticed this before.
My previous parts were a i7-8700 CPU, GTX 1060 GPU, and an ASUS Z390-A Prime Motherboard.

Now I know that having a much larger and more powerful graphics card is going to create more heat... But I haven't been playing any games that require more intense labor from my machine yet.
Could this hot air I'm feeling simply be caused by the fact I installed a liquid cooling unit that has a fan blowing out the back of my pc?

Or are these new parts just running hotter overall? I never checked the temps of my previous build because I was never bothered by any heat.

If so, is there anything I can do to reduce the heat that is being emitted? Maybe upgrading to a larger Liquid Cooling Unit with more fans?

Thank you for any help.

Solution
These days I simply expect that the output at the cooling exhausts is going to feel hot for any modern processor. Operating temperatures that are well within normal limits (WNL) have increased, very significantly, since the early days of computing.

There are a great many CPUs/APUs that have 100° C as their Tmax for WNL and there is a recent topic on this very site, AMD Explains Why 110-Degree Operating Temps Are 'in Spec' for RX 5700, that points out this trend has not ended, by any means.

You can't make air that's cooling things that run this hot (in human terms, not chip terms, as even 60° C is 140° F, and laptop exhaust from a processor running at 60° C feels hot) under normal conditions and expect it to feel anything...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A 120mm AIO isn't the best for keeping a 9700k cool. Forget about trying to overclock it. 240 or 280mm AIOs are ideal.

I'm not sure I read your post correctly - so you feel warm air blowing towards you while at your table/desk? Is the rear, or front of the case facing you?

May 4, 2019
You can't reduce the heat, as that is the thermal dissipation of the system. You can lower the temperature by increasing the airflow, since the heat will be dissipated over a larger volume of air. The 120 mm radiator is not ideal for the 9700k, so the airflow from the radiator will be quite warm. I use a 120 for a stock i7-3770, and the air from it is noticeably warm and that's a 65 W TDP part. The 9700k easily puts out twice the heat.

Can you position the system so that is doesn't blow on you?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
These days I simply expect that the output at the cooling exhausts is going to feel hot for any modern processor. Operating temperatures that are well within normal limits (WNL) have increased, very significantly, since the early days of computing.

There are a great many CPUs/APUs that have 100° C as their Tmax for WNL and there is a recent topic on this very site, AMD Explains Why 110-Degree Operating Temps Are 'in Spec' for RX 5700, that points out this trend has not ended, by any means.

You can't make air that's cooling things that run this hot (in human terms, not chip terms, as even 60° C is 140° F, and laptop exhaust from a processor running at 60° C feels hot) under normal conditions and expect it to feel anything but hot to you.

You need to arrange your system such that the exhaust air is directed away from you and even "bounce back" flow from that exhaust isn't coming your way.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS