News Unconfirmed Rumors Circulate Of Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3070 Ti & GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Launch Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Distinguished
I kinda do. Been wanting a new GPU for a while. I skipped the 20 series, and now my 1080tis are dying. I'm still leaning more towards the 3090 though. Not sure if 12GB of VRAM is enough for future proof if I wait this long between getting cards.
But, as the eTrade monkey once said "I've got money coming out the wazoo"
You'll be paying out the wazoo for a new GPU card these days!!

hannibal

Distinguished
The interesting question here is... what the msrp will be. We all know that the aib msrp has gone up significantly after the release. But has NVIDIA officially increased their own msrp?
I know that nvidias own msrp has no any meaning in the current market situation, when aib use much higher msrp on their own. Just thinking of a loud, because current situation would allow NVIDIA to put higher msrp to 3070ti that they did put on 3080 originally, so that they could get fatter profit themselves. Or do they consider of keeping the original msrp for imago reasons even if only few people in the world would get those new gpus at msrp...
This is ofcourse pure academic question, like studying dinosaurs living habits, but interested in anyway ;)

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
I kinda do. Been wanting a new GPU for a while. I skipped the 20 series, and now my 1080tis are dying. I'm still leaning more towards the 3090 though. Not sure if 12GB of VRAM is enough for future proof if I wait this long between getting cards.
I wouldn't be buying a 3090 - especially when the next gen' cards are promising double the performance. If that's really the case, your investment in a 3090 might not look so great...

A 3090 is also typically only around 10-15% faster than a 3080, so at least at their intended prices, the 3090 is a terrible value. And a ~$1000 3080 Ti wouldn't be much better. A few-hundred dollars extra for what will likely amount 2GB of additional VRAM and maybe 10% more performance? Of course, right now, everything is a terrible value, and you are not likely to find a 3080 for anywhere near its $700 MSRP. Likewise, I wouldn't expect a 3080 Ti to be readily available for anywhere near $1000 for quite some time, even if they cripple its mining performance.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I wouldn't be buying a 3090 - especially when the next gen' cards are promising double the performance. If that's really the case, your investment in a 3090 might not look so great...
Nobody has any idea how the next generation cards will perform at this early stage. Based on Nvidia's pretty consistent release schedule, the next new architecture release is close to a year and a half off, late q3 to early q4 of 2022. The only reason to wait that long is because you can't afford what's available now. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that prices are going to be any better next year so you may end up waiting for nothing. Typically we would be preparing for an Ampere refresh in a few months if the market wasn't so screwed up. Looks like we may only get a 3070Ti and 3080Ti, and maybe some lower end cards below the 3060.

Based on Nvidia's pretty consistent release schedule, the next new architecture release is close to a year and a half off, late q3 to early q4 of 2022.
I wouldn't really call Nvidia's release schedule all that consistent. As far as releases over the last decade go, the 30-series launched around 24 months after the 20-series, which in turn arrived around 28 months after the 10-series, which was 20 months after the 900-series, which was 16 months after the 700-series, which was 14 months after the 600-series, and that came 16 months after the 500-series.

So, Nvidia's release schedule had typically been around 16-months per generation. That did increase in recent years, though that may have been at least partly due to a lack of competition at the high-end. However, now that AMD is once again being more competitive in that range, and there's also the unknown of what Intel will be doing with their graphics cards that could be launching later this year, there's the possibility that we might be seeing a new generation of cards a bit earlier, though probably not until at least next spring. Or at least something along the lines of their SUPER refresh if Intel's hardware proves competitive and they need to adjust prices. Though the current availability situation might disrupt that, at least if the mining market doesn't collapse in the interim.

I wouldn't expect double the performance for the next generation of cards though, but perhaps something like a big boost to RT performance might be feasible.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

Yea, but, one, how long before they even get "released", and then be available to buy? And two, they can claim all kinds of stuff before hand. But if NVidia keeps on screwing up like they have been for the past few years, they won't be king any more, and will definitely be struggling if they don't lose their cocky attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.