Uncontroled Dial-up connection

mark

Can anyone help me with a dial-up networking question? I have
recently loaded an OEM-SP2 version of XP on a computer for my son. I
have set it up with one "administrator" account and two limited "user"
accounts. I have checking for, and download, and installed all
available updates on the internet along with loading some other needed
software. The problem is that one of the limited accounts calls for a
dial-up internet connection every time you log it in. The other
accounts do not. I have used the "dial-up connection trouble
shooter". It had me open "msconfig" and diable programs loading at
startup that may be calling for an internet connection. It also had
me switch off the option to update the system clock automatically over
the net. After doing all that, the problem remains. Any ideas?

Right click the IE Icon on the desktop, click properties, then click the
connections tab, then select the "never dial a connection" or the "dial
whenever a network connection is not present". If this does not work then
uninstall the network connection and re-install from the control panel.

"Mark" wrote:

> Can anyone help me with a dial-up networking question? I have
> recently loaded an OEM-SP2 version of XP on a computer for my son. I
> have set it up with one "administrator" account and two limited "user"
> accounts. I have checking for, and download, and installed all
> available updates on the internet along with loading some other needed
> software. The problem is that one of the limited accounts calls for a
> dial-up internet connection every time you log it in. The other
> accounts do not. I have used the "dial-up connection trouble
> shooter". It had me open "msconfig" and diable programs loading at
> startup that may be calling for an internet connection. It also had
> me switch off the option to update the system clock automatically over
> the net. After doing all that, the problem remains. Any ideas?

mark

I finally figured this out with some help from Chuck at the
windowsxp.help_and_support news group. He pointed me to a couple of
great freeware system tools called "Filemon" and "Process Explorer".
It turned out to be the Google task bar search tool I had installed,
but forgot to configure the settings properly on the new computer
account and subsequent test accounts. Settings on the Google tool had
been properly tweeked on the other computer accounts, but I had
forgotten to do it on the "visitor" account that was set up for
friends to access the web, etc. Once I unchecked the search window
option on that Google tool, the uncontrolled dial-up connection
problem went away.