[SOLVED] Uncontrollable fan speed

Apr 30, 2019
I just upgraded from a GTX 970 to a Palit 1070 Dual. However at idle the GPU fan speed sounds like its 100%. their software (thunder master) can't change anything, neither can MSI afterburner

Solution
Which POWER SUPPLY unit are you using for the GTX 1070 ? List the make/model number. What happens to the fans, when the GPU is under load/stress ? Tried playing any games yet ?

Edit: What is the GPU TEMP and usage in IDLE mode ?
Apr 30, 2019
Which POWER SUPPLY unit are you using for the GTX 1070 ? List the make/model number. What happens to the fans, when the GPU is under load/stress ? Tried playing any games yet ?

Edit: What is the GPU TEMP and usage in IDLE mode ?
I just found the problem. One of the zipties i'd used for cable management had snuck into one of the fans and was blocking it, while the other fan went crazy. When i sorted it out, they went normal.

Thanks for your reply though

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
That shouldn't be happening, IMO. Have you tried re-seating the GPU back on the PCI-e x16 slot on your MOBO ? Also, that GPU model has the 0-dB TECH feature, and the the operating fans only occurs while working on heavier loading such as gaming that the GPU temperature surpasses 50°C.

is there anything stuck between the fans, any wire/cable etc. ??

EDIT: Ah okay, I guess you have already just figured out the cause. didn't see your post before though.

Last edited: