[SOLVED] uncorrectable sectors - Any hope?

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Hi guys,
I have a 6TB WD blue HDD in my Freenas server thats showing 11 Offline uncorrectable sectors and 17 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.

I've put the disk into my Windows 7 machine (because I'm far more comfortable with W7) and reformatted and all seems ok, but when I put it back in the server the errors are back, obviously it uses a different scanning process

Is there anything I can do to save the Disk? I've already got the data off so thats not a problem, I just don't want to lose the physical disk if I can help it.

Cheers

Solution
WD Red - WD Purple
Data transfer: 178MB/s - 210MB/s
Cache: 16MB to 256MB - 64MB to 256MB
Speed: 5,400 RPM - 5,400 RPM

Purple has faster transfer speeds than Red, same rotational speeds, and the smaller Tb drives have more cache.

How are Reds faster?

Reds, especially Red Pro, are built specifically for a Nas environment, everything from interior mechanisms to the controllers. Purple are designed for 100% continuous usage for the life of the drive, so have a lot of the same design features Reds do. Could also use Gold as those are built for server/enterprise use.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
No. Your disk in time will get worse in time. Because as written these errors are uncorrectable. If the disk is still in guarantee period, you can get a RMA. If not you need to replace it with a new disk. I don't recommend WD Blue's, its guarantee period is not to long, and they are very likely to fail comparing with WD Black or Purples. Also stay away from Green's.

53 relocated and 17 pending sectors. Not great.
Pending sectors can be fixed with mhdd (scan with relocate).

If it's out of warranty, you can still keep using as unreliable storage (for temporary data). Throwing out 6TB drive seems kinda wasteful.
Keep watch on SMART parameters. Any changes will signal about ongoing deterioration.

BTW - WD Blue is not meant to be used for NAS storage. For that you use WD Red or Purple drives.

Reactions: staney

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
No joy. It has an EZRZ code which has 2 years warranty. I've had it at least 4.
I know I shouldn't really have it in the NAS, I got it in a sale before I built the NAS and just used it because I had it.

Oh well, its served me well. I'll put some unimportant stuff on there and file it away in a box i guess.

Cheers guys.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
53 relocated and 17 pending sectors. Not great.
Pending sectors can be fixed with mhdd (scan with relocate).

If it's out of warranty, you can still keep using as unreliable storage (for temporary data). Throwing out 6TB drive seems kinda wasteful.
Keep watch on SMART parameters. Any changes will signal about ongoing deterioration.

BTW - WD Blue is not meant to be used for NAS storage. For that you use WD Red or Purple drives.

WD Blue can only be used in computers these are rarely used. If the computer or NAS storage is running 7 x 24. It is something to avoid. Pay more buy other colors: Black, Red, Purple. Blue and Green should be avoided.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
No joy. It has an EZRZ code which has 2 years warranty. I've had it at least 4.
I know I shouldn't really have it in the NAS, I got it in a sale before I built the NAS and just used it because I had it.

Oh well, its served me well. I'll put some unimportant stuff on there and file it away in a box i guess.

Cheers guys.

It really does not worth the effort. Because when used, it will even get worse quickly. Disks are getting cheaper. Let it rest peacefully.

well i feel stupid. I can't get any of those to run.
Easiest way to make mhdd work, is by burning cd with mhdd magic iso image. Problem is - rarely anyone has cd/dvd writers anymore.
But you can create bootable USB flash drive with mhdd also.
Download mhdd magic iso image, mount it.
https://hddguru.com/software/2006.02.10-Magic-Boot-Disk/
Download HP USB format tool.
https://filehippo.com/download_hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool/
Use HP USB format tool to format USB flash drive and make it bootable (specify magic boot disk as source for boot files).
Copy contents of mhdd magic boot disk to USB flash drive. DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILES.
Boot from USB flash drive and run mhdd.
MHDD commands to use:
type port to select drive,​
type scan to scan selected drive (select relocate=on in options)​

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Yeah thats what I meant by best brand. Obviously not if they don't even do a suitable product.
Annoying it looks like amazon are still shipping OEM drives which only have amazon's guarantee instead of the proper WD warranty. According to the reveiw comments anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's done. Recover what you can, sooner far better than later. Replace it with a Nas rated drive. The two most common areas of failure are the same, the high usage area nearer the center of the disc's, like where the OS gets installed, and the boot sectors where any virtual drives maintain disc info and addressing records. If bad sectors or uncorrectable errors start popping up there, which will happen now that the drive is already compromised, then recovering other data can get seriously problematic.