News Uncovered EA patent would use AI to replace professional voice actors with (fake) you

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I remember years ago Everquest Next was going to have dynamic NPC's that would be able to interact differently based on player input.

Lot's of speculation on how that would work, and in the end it all fizzled out into nothingness.

This will be another one of those ideas. It's just a Company trying to sell their technology to a gaming company.

I guess it's cheaper than paying** for a good voice actor.

I also hope it is opt-out, since I don't want EA forcing a EULA down my throat where I give them rights over my voice phonetics.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
Is this a feature you actually want to play a video game with?

If it's done well? Yes. There's plenty of games which don't translate the speaking voice into other languages, have a vast number of speaking NPCs that just recycle the same few spoken lines, or even have spoken languages at all, but it'd have to sound natural and not like Alexa/Siri/Google Voice Assistant.

First, though, they need to develop AI that syncs lip movements to the language spoken

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It's EA. I almost guarantee this comes with some data collection bs that let's them add your voice to a library they will move in the future. The company is pretty gross.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
How can they get a patent for an idea thousands of people already had because it’s so basic ??

The patent system in the US is really f$$ked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.