Undecided on Hard Drive (Gaming Rig)

onlineguy

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello, I'm building this PC primarily for gaming. In previous posts members have suggested the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, since I can't afford a SSD. Unfortunately, this model is currently unavailable.

Performance-wise, will I actually notice a difference between HDD brands while gaming? Other than speed the only other factor I can think of is reliability, and that's not much of a concern to me as long as it lasts through the 3-year warranty period. What brand/model would you recommend in this scenario?

I could get a Spinpoint F1, but I'm not sure if it's still faster than other brands' 1TB drives. Also thinking about the 500GB F3, but it's less value.

Solution
I have 2 setups with RAID-0 500GB F3 and they work great. I have another setup with RAID-0 WD 640 Blacks and that too works great. Performance gains are superb, but not quite SSD speeds. My Intel X-25M still rocks. All my setups have been running for a few months now with no hiccups.

I would have to say, if you raid-0 2 500GB F3, you should be good to go. You don't want your boot drive to run off the raid, for that you should get another hard drive, or small SSD.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I have 2 setups with RAID-0 500GB F3 and they work great. I have another setup with RAID-0 WD 640 Blacks and that too works great. Performance gains are superb, but not quite SSD speeds. My Intel X-25M still rocks. All my setups have been running for a few months now with no hiccups.

I would have to say, if you raid-0 2 500GB F3, you should be good to go. You don't want your boot drive to run off the raid, for that you should get another hard drive, or small SSD.

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
I second the above recommendations, though not a fan of RAID but it does give a performance boost.

Also, you can pick-up the Seagate 7200.12 (500GB & 1TB) hard drive, which match the Samsung Spinpoint F3 in performance and price.

onlineguy

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I don't know how to do a RAID setup; should I just get one 1TB HDD?

I can get Seagate 1TB for 10$ cheaper than Spinpoint F3. So, Seagate? I read a lot of bad reviews on online retailers about the 7200.12 ):