[SOLVED] Undecided on storage solution.

JP76

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi.

I currently store my files and backups using a n54L micro server with multiple disks and a 6-disk NAS from netgear already with 7+ years old. Both setups arr in raid 5 (I defiantly don't want to loose the stored files). In addition I have four more disks for storage on my main computer.

My dilema: capacity is getting low and I want a future-proof solution that can be leveraged for storage (ensuring data availability if one disk goes down) and as media player to stream some movies every now and then over my home LAN (1 gig).

I'm looking at Synology Ds2419+, which costs around 1500eur and can accommodate 12 disks. Other option would be to buy a refurbished SuperMicro CSE-848. It takes 24 disks and final cost would be around 1000eur. I could then leverage one of the software solution to run a NAS raid-setup. Extra money would allow me to buy additional disks.

I'm totally divided between both options. What would you recommend? Any other option you would entertain?

Solution
So recommendation would be to reduce number of bays and increase storage capacity per disk right? I was taking a look at Drobo. This model is on the 1500eur range.
Yes,
i recommended Drobo as it was generally a one size fits all solution that is in my opinion very good, but if you give me more information i could think of something more tailored for you

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Have you had a look at Drobo?
https://www.drobo.com/
they do really good solutions.
How much storage do you have stored.
How much storage do you see yourself needing?
What performance do you need. HDD? SAS?
I would definitely go for RAID10.

Unless you need to go crazy, i would go for an 8/12 bay NAS/DAS with high capacity drives. rather than going for a big number of drives, more failure points.

For example:
Drobo B810n: Network Attached Storage

I think this can easily take 64 TB. if you need more let me know.

if you want to swap the HDD's over let me know how many HDD's, there capacity and how much is used. it mayc be better if you consolidate to fewer drives.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
The problem with using raid is in transferring it to another unit that has a different raid controller. Usually you have no choice but to wipe the array, create a new one on on the new controller, and then reload your data.

Another issue with R5 is if you have large drives and 1 fails, the very long rebuild time after replacing a disk can stress another disk into failure and you lose all the data. R6 can survive 2 disks failing.

I commend you in having a backup appliance for your NAS :)

JP76

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi.

thank you all for you replies.

Desktop = 2* 3Tb These are in RAID 10, mostly media, games + 2* 2Tb. RAID 10 with critical files (photos and documents )
N54L = 5* 3Tb (Media + backup of photos and documents hosted in deskptop)
NAS = 6* 2Tb (Media, Games)

All WD Red hard drives.

All these disks are over 90% full.
I don't need anything high performance as long as I can stream movies properly (using Plex or Serviio).

Going with these solutions would allow me to re-use my current disks and allow me to add additional ones in the future. Idea would be to have something up and running 24x7 that could be used as backup of critical files and media server.

JP76

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Have you had a look at Drobo?
https://www.drobo.com/

Unless you need to go crazy, i would go for an 8/12 bay NAS/DAS with high capacity drives. rather than going for a big number of drives, more failure points.

For example:
Drobo B810n: Network Attached Storage

So recommendation would be to reduce number of bays and increase storage capacity per disk right? I was taking a look at Drobo. This model is on the 1500eur range.

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Yes,
i recommended Drobo as it was generally a one size fits all solution that is in my opinion very good, but if you give me more information i could think of something more tailored for you

Solution