[SOLVED] Under clocking my desktop

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

I have an old desktop (Intel Q6600, 4 GB DDR2, 1 TB SATA HDD and 500 W SMPS).

Lately, on opening multiple Google Chrome windows, the processor temperature is hitting 90-95 °C. (ambient temperature is 30-35 °C). Someone was telling me that by under clocking and under volting the processor, I can minimise the temperature over-shoots.

If so, pls tell me step by step how I can do it. I am on Windows 7 (64 bit). Also pls tell me the safe lower limits for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, under clocking and under volting did the trick!! I set the the CPU multiplier to 6 (the minimum), FSB to 266Mhz and reduced the core voltage to 1.000 v. Now even when I am opening 8-10 tabs in chrome, the temperature does not cross 75 °C. :p:p

The final problem: the HDD is squeaking intermittently and the PC is hanging up for a few seconds. I had run the Toshiba's HDD tester a few days back and the HDD passed the test. So what could be wrong? The PSU? Or anything else?

If the HDD is making funny noises (never came across one that "squeaked") and the system hangs for a few seconds at the same time then I guarantee you that the drive is faulty, and I trust the Toshiba test tool as much as Toshiba drives (not at all).

Do...
First thing to learn is if your motherboard is even capable of changing CPU clock speeds and voltages, or for that matter if the CPU allows it. I doubt either, really, but I'm not that Intel-versed.

But DDR2 memory suggests that's a pretty old system. I'd open it up and blow out the dust if you haven't yet. Odds are the CPU heatsink is one big clog of dust, if the fan is even turning it won't be doing any good.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
First thing to learn is if your motherboard is even capable of changing CPU clock speeds and voltages, or for that matter if the CPU allows it. I doubt either, really, but I'm not that Intel-versed.

But DDR2 memory suggests that's a pretty old system. I'd open it up and blow out the dust if you haven't yet. Odds are the CPU heatsink is one big clog of dust, if the fan is even turning it won't be doing any good.
I had already cleaned the CPU and the processor heat sink fan when I opened the cabinet to re-paste the heat sink with thermal grease over the processor. I have a Gigabyte G41-m combo motherboard.

Pls tell me if there is a way of manually under volting and under clocking the processor through Windows 7 interface. Since I cannot use my PC due to the temperature over-shoots, it is a little difficult to search a new topic over the phone.

Pls tell me if there is a way of manually under volting and under clocking the processor through Windows 7 interface. Since I cannot use my PC due to the temperature over-shoots, it is a little difficult to search a new topic over the phone.
under-volting generaly uses the same methods as over-volting and overclocking. That requires the hardware, both CPU and motherboard, be capable of it. As I understand it it's not built- in to what you have. It may be possible with some third party software (check this thread out: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/q6600-on-intel-g41.333811/ ) but it's going to be pretty risky.

In your situation I'd say your overheating relates to what you just did to the system. Double, triple check your CPU cooler mounting to make sure it's tight to the CPU. I think Intel used plastic clips in those days, make sure none have popped out.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Yes, under clocking and under volting did the trick!! I set the the CPU multiplier to 6 (the minimum), FSB to 266Mhz and reduced the core voltage to 1.000 v. Now even when I am opening 8-10 tabs in chrome, the temperature does not cross 75 °C. :p:p

The final problem: the HDD is squeaking intermittently and the PC is hanging up for a few seconds. I had run the Toshiba's HDD tester a few days back and the HDD passed the test. So what could be wrong? The PSU? Or anything else?

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020

If the HDD is making funny noises (never came across one that "squeaked") and the system hangs for a few seconds at the same time then I guarantee you that the drive is faulty, and I trust the Toshiba test tool as much as Toshiba drives (not at all).

Do NOT use that computer at all except to backup your data.!

Backup your data, start with the important stuff first (as it may get worse rapidly and it may not be possible to back up all of it before it fails) I know this from years of professionally repairing computers (and backing up /recovering data).

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I'm wondering if that CPU has any paste on it at all, even with the high ambient temps it shouldn't skyrocket to 95º because of it. 75 is also high, even if you're using the stock HSF combo, it's running at 1.5GHz and 1 volt, it shouldn't hit those temps, not at all.
Repaste and make sure the heatsink is properly seated, if the case has no fans add some, an intake and an exhaust at least, even if you add 80mm fans it'll be better than nothing, you can also take off the side cover if you don't mind the visuals.

Also you shouldn't use chrome on a machine like that, it'll always squeeze until it gets the last drop of juice outta it, maxing out CPU, hoarding memory for no reason, if it does that to modern builds imagine what it's doing to your DDR2 platform.
Try pale moon, seamonkey, stock chromium or stock firefox although that last one is no better than chrome anymore, just filled with bloatware to the very top.

The hard drive making noises is def a bad omen, could be the motor getting stuck (somewhat easily repairable) or worse, no way to know. Is CrystalDiskInfo showing anything odd? (You'll need to enable SMART on the BIOS setup if it isn't for the program to be able to show any data)

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
I'm wondering if that CPU has any paste on it at all, even with the high ambient temps it shouldn't skyrocket to 95º because of it. 75 is also high, even if you're using the stock HSF combo, it's running at 1.5GHz and 1 volt, it shouldn't hit those temps, not at all.
Repaste and make sure the heatsink is properly seated, if the case has no fans add some, an intake and an exhaust at least, even if you add 80mm fans it'll be better than nothing, you can also take off the side cover if you don't mind the visuals.

Also you shouldn't use chrome on a machine like that, it'll always squeeze until it gets the last drop of juice outta it, maxing out CPU, hoarding memory for no reason, if it does that to modern builds imagine what it's doing to your DDR2 platform.
Try pale moon, seamonkey, stock chromium or stock firefox although that last one is no better than chrome anymore, just filled with bloatware to the very top.

The hard drive making noises is def a bad omen, could be the motor getting stuck (somewhat easily repairable) or worse, no way to know. Is CrystalDiskInfo showing anything odd? (You'll need to enable SMART on the BIOS setup if it isn't for the program to be able to show any data)

Thanks for your response. When the CPU started hitting 95 degree celcius, I opened the stock heat sink and applied thermal grease on it. It was just two-three days back.

I tried chromium and sea monkey. Still the temperature is hitting 71-73 degree Celsius. Pls advise on this further.

The HDD beeping and PC hanging problem seems to have dissapeared when I replaced the HDD SATA cable with a new one.