[SOLVED] Under clocking Q6600 + Gigabyte G41M

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

My Intel Q6600 processor is heating to 70- 80 degree Celsius. So I want to undervolt and under-clock it. Can anyone pls help me select the following values in the BIOS setup?

CPU Vcore; CPU Vtermination; CPU DRAM; CPU Clock ratio

My PC config. is as follows:
  • GigaByte G41M Combo Mobo
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
  • DDR3 4GB + 4GB RAM (1333 MHz)
I remember there was an exact tutorial for under-clocking a Q6600 and G41 combination on the internet. Unable to locate it now. It would be great if someone can point me to it/ help me with the above needed values.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta

Solution
70- 80 degree Celsius
The Q6600 is a hot running processor. It is 15 years old so obviously peak core temperatures over 70°C are not hurting it. These are just normal core operating temperatures for Intel CPUs.

The Tcase temperature specification that Intel released for this CPU is not referring to the core temperature. Monitoring software reports the peak core temperature. No monitoring software is capable of reporting the Tcase temperature.

You can only measure the Tcase temperature by drilling into the heat spreader on top of the CPU and mounting a temperature probe in the exact middle of the heat spreader. Intel does not want their retail customers destroying their CPUs like this. That is why Intel uses core temperature...

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

My Intel Q6600 processor is heating to 70- 80 degree Celsius. So I want to undervolt and under-clock it. Can anyone pls help me select the following values in the BIOS setup?

CPU Vcore; CPU Vtermination; CPU DRAM; CPU Clock ratio

My PC config. is as follows:
  • GigaByte G41M Combo Mobo
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
  • DDR3 4GB + 4GB RAM (1333 MHz)
I remember there was an exact tutorial for under-clocking a Q6600 and G41 combination on the internet. Unable to locate it now. It would be great if someone can point me to it/ help me with the above needed values.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta

70- 80 degree Celsius
The Q6600 is a hot running processor. It is 15 years old so obviously peak core temperatures over 70°C are not hurting it. These are just normal core operating temperatures for Intel CPUs.

The Tcase temperature specification that Intel released for this CPU is not referring to the core temperature. Monitoring software reports the peak core temperature. No monitoring software is capable of reporting the Tcase temperature.

You can only measure the Tcase temperature by drilling into the heat spreader on top of the CPU and mounting a temperature probe in the exact middle of the heat spreader. Intel does not want their retail customers destroying their CPUs like this. That is why Intel uses core temperature sensors. These sensors are mounted on the hottest spots on the core. The CPU will automatically slow down if any of the peak core temperatures are too hot. This ensures that the CPU is always kept at a safe operating temperature. You do not need to slow your CPU down or worry about the CPU temperature.

If you really must slow your CPU down, the default CPU multiplier is 9.

9 X 266.667 MHz = 2400 MHz
8 X 266.667 MHz = 2133 MHz

Set the CPU multiplier to 8 in the BIOS and your CPU will run slower and cooler.

Solution