[SOLVED] Under-performance after upgrade. In need of some help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
My name is Aiden, I recently upgraded a majority of my computer parts. I upgraded my motherboard from one that supports 4-5th gen processors and ddr3 ram to one that supports 8th and 9th gen processors and ddr4 ram. I upgraded my CPU from an i5 3.2 4750 to an i5 3.7 9600. I upgraded my ram from ddr3 to ddr4 (both were 16gb). My current GPU is an Nvidia GTX GeForce 1060 3GB. I upgraded to a used 1070 8GB.

Now here's what happened. At the start, I felt as if my PC was under-performing immensely. I was pulling worse frames than I was with my old build. I did some research about the problem. I wen't into settings and made sure everything was in performance mode. Updated my drivers as well as installed MSI Afterburner. This did not help, I then replaced my GPU back to my 1060. It was pulling the same frame rate as the 1070. I did more research which led me to reinstall my OS. I did a clean wipe on my PC. The one thing I will say is that my games were never deleted. I made sure to select the option to wipe everything, I came back to a clean PC, but when I installed Steam and the Rock star launcher, all I had to do is click install and then all my games were there. From there I was getting okay frames on the 1070, but in doing research on how the 1070 should perform with my specs, it again was under-performing, and in all honesty it was under-performing quite majorly. Even the 1060 was having some issues with how it used to run games. Out of frustration, and a severe lack of money after the upgrades, I refunded the new 1070. I figured since it was used someone could've overclocked it too much and ruined the card, or something else to hinder its performance. As of right now, I am using my 1060 with all my new upgrades and am still under-performing compared to my old build. I have done everything that I can find to do. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love to hear from you as soon as you can as I've lost quite a bit of money.

Thanks!

Solution
Try running the benchmark at this site, and sharing a link to your results page here...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

That could help indicate whether a particular piece of hardware, like the CPU or GPU, might be underperforming.

If I had to guess, it sounds like your CPU might not be operating at full speed, particularly if an older FX processor system is outperforming it with a similar graphics card. Have you checked CPU temperatures while the system is under load?

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Well that's good news. That fixed your memory speed problem. They are now working perfectly judging from that benchmark.

As for your CPU temps please install HWINFO64. When you start the program you can check the "Sensor only" and it open a windows with pretty much all the info you need. You can see the CPU temps, voltages and everything. Get a screenshot of the CPU temps at idle and load in a game or something. Your CPU might be fine depending on the Air Cooler you have on it. If it's the stock cooler than that temp and sound is normal. Having an aftermarket cooler is always better of course than the stock one.

I'm having trouble posting the link to my screenshot (From gyazo) even in non link form. I'm definitely having some temp problems.

It looks like the max temp is 99C, which is definitely too high, and undoubtedly resulting in some performance throttling when under sustained CPU load. What kind of CPU cooler is installed on the 9600KF?

On the positive side, the memory appears to be running normal now that the XMP profile has been enabled, which is likely why the other hardware is performing largely as expected in the benchmark now.

60C CPU at idle is way too much. You are most likely hitting 90-100 under gaming sessions. Please check CPU temps under loa; HWINFO64, Open Hardware Monitor, CoreTemp and many other programs will show you what you need to know.

For best results (no throttling) you should not be exceeding 85C under load. The lower the better.