[SOLVED] Under performing gtx 1050ti

Jun 16, 2019
Recently bought a use optiplex mt 9020 with i7-4770 running windows 10pro for 155$ and a cheap new GeForce gtx 1050 ti on eBay for 55$. I've been unable to get any driver past 388.13 to work with it and msi afterburning limits overclocking to core to 1050 and memory to 1950 which is under spec. Nova bench has it rated at 251 and 22fps. Userbench had fps in 22-26 range as well. Playing Warframe had fps less than the integrated 4600 and it crashed several times. I have the updated bios a20.
Is this a compatability issue pci 2 vs 3, cheap knock off, power supply limits (290w), other?

I was hoping to avoid buying a new power supply because then I would want a better GPU.

Solution
After a bit of back and forth I was able to get my money back.

Refund summary

GTX1050Ti 4G D5 Hd Pci-E Gaming X Graphics Card 128bit 3.0 VGA HDMI DVI I/O Hot
Quantity1
$59.99

Subtotal
$59.99

Here's what happened

Jun 16
You created a return
Reason for return
Doesn't seem authentic

Comments
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/06/17/6gg.png GPU-Z indicated that this item is fake, and not as advertised.

Jun 17
The seller sent you a message
Thanks for contacting us,many apologies for that problem. Do you think the item is still useful?can you keep it? And we would like to refund 30% to you, do you think it is a solution please?

Jun 17
You sent a message
No, that will not be sufficient. This is a fake gtx 1050ti and...
Jun 16, 2019
https://ebay.us/20rkKM hope the link works.

The power supply is a dell 290w.

If I upgrade the power supply I might as well get a better GPU. I went with the 1050ti because of the low power draw. This model had no 6 pin power in put.

I'll run gpuz a little later and update you

Jun 16, 2019
6gg.png

Does this mean that its [fake] and will never perform as original. Comparing to online images the transistors are smaller, bandwidth is smaller, and clock speeds are lower. So yes I will be returning this card.
This means new power supply, dell 24-8 pin adapter, and rx 580. Will the pcie 2.0 on the motherboard be an issue for that card?

DSzymborski

Titan
The PCIE shouldn't be an issue; bandwidth of GPUs generally isn't at the level where the PCIE slot is a limiting factor.

And yeah, GPU-Z had some updates that improved detection of fake GPUs. It's another, much, much worse GPU, sold as a 1050 Ti with some information fakery. If something's too good to be true, it almost always is.

Jun 16, 2019
After a bit of back and forth I was able to get my money back.

Refund summary

GTX1050Ti 4G D5 Hd Pci-E Gaming X Graphics Card 128bit 3.0 VGA HDMI DVI I/O Hot
Quantity1
$59.99

Subtotal
$59.99

Here's what happened

Jun 16
You created a return
Reason for return
Doesn't seem authentic

Comments
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/06/17/6gg.png GPU-Z indicated that this item is fake, and not as advertised.

Jun 17
Thanks for contacting us,many apologies for that problem. Do you think the item is still useful?can you keep it? And we would like to refund 30% to you, do you think it is a solution please?

Jun 17
You sent a message
No, that will not be sufficient. This is a fake gtx 1050ti and does not work to specification, or expectation. I would like a full refund and I can ship it back to the address on the original packaging.

Jun 18
Sorry for that, please accept our sincere apologies. We are really sorry that the item doesn't satisfy you. As the return shipping costs is not cheap and may trouble you ,would you like to accept the 60% refund to make up for your loss? you don't need to send the item back and this may be a faster way to solve the problem. If it is still not acceptable for you, we are happy to accept return and fully refund you, fine?

Jun 18
You sent a message
Thank you for your considerations. As the return shipping costs is not cheap and may trouble me, I would gladly accept the 95% refund to make up for my loss. I don't need to send the item back as putting it in the trash may be a faster way to solve the problem. If it is still not acceptable for you, I am happy to ship the return and receive a full refund.

Jun 19
The seller issued a refund for $59.99

Solution