[SOLVED] Under-performing new CPU

Aug 9, 2019
So, recently I upgraded my PC, only keeping the same PSU, GPU, and hard drive from before. My new CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700, with a base of 3.2 ghz I believe. However, task manager and several other programs are telling me it is running at 1.5 ghz. Initially I believed this was just because my PC was doing nothing, just sitting on Chrome. However, when I got similar speeds while playing GTA V, I became suspicious, and ran a benchmark test: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19151599

Here is my parts list:
Asus ROG B450-F Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700
EVGA 1060 6gb
16 GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000
EVGA 500w 80+ PSU
1 TB HDD

I've went in the BIOS and enabled "Core performance boost" and set "Performance enhancer" to level 2 with seemingly no gain.

Solution
I have the same motherboard but I have a Ryzen 5 2600.
If you are using the Windows Balanced or Ryzen Balanced Power Plan your CPU should idle at 1.55 GHz and only boost up higher as needed.
What BIOS are you using?
BIOS version 1201 is definitely the best BIOS for our motherboard to use with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU.
The newer BIOS versions were designed for use with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU and do not work as well with a 2000 series CPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Have you installed latest BIOS?
Presumably you have latest chipset drivers installed?
Have you monitored individual CPU core temps?
Have you enabled High Performance in your control panel (assuming W10)?
Is this on a clean install of windows?
Have you reset BIOS to defaults/reset CMOS?

Reactions: smoketoobig

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have the same motherboard but I have a Ryzen 5 2600.
If you are using the Windows Balanced or Ryzen Balanced Power Plan your CPU should idle at 1.55 GHz and only boost up higher as needed.
What BIOS are you using?
BIOS version 1201 is definitely the best BIOS for our motherboard to use with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU.
The newer BIOS versions were designed for use with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU and do not work as well with a 2000 series CPU.

Reactions: smoketoobig
Solution
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks so much for all of responses and help! It turns out it was my power plan all along! I set it to "Ultimate" in the control panel and instantly see it shoot up to 3.3 GHz.