Question Under Performing System

Nov 17, 2021
I'll start by saying I'm new here and have already found some great info to help me with my issue. I would say I have general knowledge of PC hardware and slightly better than novice software skills. I built my wife a PC this past year to use for her photography business. She just uses the PC for photo editing using Photoshop, Light Room ect. The issue I'm having is that her PC tends to lag at times when loading photos or during editing, taking several seconds to load a clear photo (blurry at first, then in 1 to 3 refreshes it's clear ). I've also noticed her GPU spikes at 100% randomly, but never above 10‰ while normal editing. I thought I built it overkill to avoid having to upgrade later. Also the fans on the GPU are always up and down, even at idle. Is there a guide on how to setup the GPU in the utility or something I may be missing? Maybe some quirks with the 570 I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance.

Asus B450F Mother Board
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM 3200
Radeon RX570 256bit 8GB GDRR5 GPU
1TB Samsung 980 M2 Nvme SSD
Asus 4K Led Monitor using HDMI
Windows 10

I did find today that the Ram was only Clocking in at around 2300, and I had to update a bios setting to get at its max speed of 3200. I've updated the motherboard and GPU to the latest firmware available as well, it still will take about 3 seconds to load a clear photo when using light room.

the fans on the GPU are always up and down, even at idle. Is there a guide on how to setup the GPU in the utility
depending on what card you have the manufacturer will provide software for controlling the GPU's fans.
or you can try using MSI Afterburner which has a very easy-to-use interface and works for the majority of cards.
edit the fan curve profile to have a less aggressive curve and the fans' speeds won't change as frequently.
her PC tends to lag at times when loading photos or during editing, taking several seconds to load a clear photo
if these are larger sized image files i would guess the slow loading times is due to the lower tier CPU & slower RAM.
AMD can greatly benefit from faster RAM speeds but this is a lower performing CPU.
maybe you should do some research into recommended RAM speeds for max performance with the 2700X.

one thing you could try is loading the images onto a separate SSD so the OS, background processes, software, & the image are not using the same drive's read/write bandwidth simultaneously.

also keep an eye on live CPU speeds & temperatures while you are working with the system.
if it is reaching any throttle zones then that will also limit performance.

Nov 17, 2021
Thank you. 3200 is the max recommended speed for my motherboard per asus. I've never hit a high cpu usage yet, but I'll take a closer look. I was hoping the R7 2700x would be able to handle it, our old I5 processor was able to load these images just fine, that's why I thought it had to be a setting or something I missed. I'm new to the AMD side of things, but it's definitely interesting. I'll try your advice and report back.

ASK THE COMMUNITY