[SOLVED] Under what circumstances the battery will be damaged and have risk of safety issue?

rockman413

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
I see people are saying that it's ok to use the iphone small 5w wall mount charger to charge iPad is ok(the only Cons is charging will be slow) and will not cause damage to the battery.

I also see lots of report that devices/battery explode/burn for using the wrong charger.

Why using the wrong charger will cause it to explode? Is it because some non-verified 3rd party 's VOLTAGE is wrong?

Given the fact that iPhone 12 now even does not include a charger and the world will be people using all kinds of charger for the new iPhone 12. Under what circumstances the battery will be damaged and have risk of safety issue?

Solution
Wall chargers for phones are not actually chargers, they are power supplies albeit some can modify their voltage. The charging circuit managing the actual charge speed, cutting off at full charge and monitoring the battery for potential faults is all in the phone, it just needs an external power supply. The biggest factor with batteries is quality of the cells and the charging circuit, this is why you see more reports of cheaper products having issues. Now high end phones could get a faulty battery but it’s less likely to happen or result in fire. A high end phone should have better protection for not allowing a battery that is failing to be charged. Then you have cheap wall chargers/power supplies, these are known to be a risk. I’ve...

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
There are good chargers and bad chargers. A wrong charger is a bad charger. If you use a bad charger it could damage your phone battery.
A bad charger will not maintain the correct voltage when charging.
It could be over voltage, under voltage or have spikes and ripples.
I've never had a problem with a usb charger.

Wall chargers for phones are not actually chargers, they are power supplies albeit some can modify their voltage. The charging circuit managing the actual charge speed, cutting off at full charge and monitoring the battery for potential faults is all in the phone, it just needs an external power supply. The biggest factor with batteries is quality of the cells and the charging circuit, this is why you see more reports of cheaper products having issues. Now high end phones could get a faulty battery but it’s less likely to happen or result in fire. A high end phone should have better protection for not allowing a battery that is failing to be charged. Then you have cheap wall chargers/power supplies, these are known to be a risk. I’ve lost count of the reports of these or car versions failing and when you see them taken apart the build quality is usually awful. If you keep to higher quality phones and chargers it’s very unlikely you will have a problem. There are things you can do to prolong the batteries life such as trying to keep it between 20-80% charge.

Solution

rockman413

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
There are good chargers and bad chargers. A wrong charger is a bad charger. If you use a bad charger it could damage your phone battery.
A bad charger will not maintain the correct voltage when charging.
It could be over voltage, under voltage or have spikes and ripples.
I've never had a problem with a usb charger.

Charge iPad with the iPhone usb wall mount charger- is it considered "wrong charger?"