Underclock or overclock 1333mhz memory?

Ovazealous

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys,
Just overclocked my i5 760 to 3.80ghz stable (at 21 x 181), temps are all fine,
I'm planning on pushing to 4Ghz,
at the moment, my 8GB 1333 1.5V RAM is pushed to 1448mhz, if I overclock, it will be pushed to 1528mhz.
Is it reasonably safe to overclock RAM this much? will I need to add a bit more voltage to the RAM? (maybe 1.56?)
or should I just go for a x6 multiplier just to underclock it to 1146mhz?

Underclock the RAM. You can fry your RAM with the FSB. You could try it with memtest86, but I would just underclock it. You probably won't notice a difference overclocked or underclocked. If I were you, I would play it safe and underclock it. By the way, nice overclock. ;)

Ovazealous

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks! Ok, I'll put it down to x6 and see how it goes. I guess the RAM speed doesn't affect the performance too much nowadays?

@Megagabobe1 - Can't leave it at stock, if I go for 4GHz, it'll either be 1528 or 1146 based on multiplier.

Uh, yes you can. If you push your RAM too hard, it will get very hot, and can break becasue of it. If you couldn't break your RAM by doing that, my RAM would be running @ 3Ghz. :lol:

beenthere

Distinguished

DDR3 RAM draws a wopping 10W of power. You don't even need heatsinks on it. So OC'ing it from 1333 MHz. to 1600 MHz. is not going to make one bit of difference. People run 2000 MHz. all the time with no issues. Excessive voltage is not good, but increased frequency is no problem.

Perhaps you should consult with a RAM mfg. for more details if you don't understand.

Hmm, I have heard that by setting RAM frequencies too high you can destroy it. I just wouldn't do it.