"Underclocking" my FX-8350

jokersmocker99

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Hello Tom's Hardware community, i am new here and also a bummer with overclocking/underclocking (not even sure if there is such a word).

Anyway, i have this spec pc:

MB: Sabbertooth 990FX
CPU: FX-8350 AMD
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Graphic: Nvidia GTX 570 fermi Asus.
CPU FAN: STOCK (My Corsair H100 is in RMA).

So, what i want to do is to go down with the voltage on the CPU by a notch or two because i've read that it will do less heat. The problem is now that i run it on stock fan, under load it goes way up to 70C and my Asus Suite keeps warning me about it and today and yesterday the PC just instantly shut down after a while and my guess is that its because of the high CPU temps, so i would like to get them down a notch.

I use Arctic Silver MX5 paste but doesnt do much with stock CPU fan, i keep it at around 60-70% at 4.0GHZ right now.

Is it possible to get 4.0ghz with lower voltage because if i set it to auto it goes up to 1.4 (Vcore) and i think if i can go manually and set it to stay at 1 or atleast 1.1 max 1.2 i could get the cpu to stay around 64C until my Corsair H100 gets back from RMA (wich may be a while)....

If you have any suggestions, and please be specific, because sadly i do not know very much about overclocking, and i dont want to tune something wrong and break it even tought i dont think i can break it if i drop the voltage ^^.

What are the steps, i go set it to manual and drop it to 1.1 (vcore) what about NB Voltage, do i drop that also? Bus multiplier? etc, what are the things i should tweak.

Thank you very much.

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
1.375 is around the stock voltage of the 8350. You can turn off "turbo" and lower the voltage slowly until is no longer stable at 4.0, but that should occur around 1.32. You can also lower the multiplier and then lower the voltage a little more. I think 1.2 is unrealistic unless you significantly drop the multiplier. I see 1.1 at a 7 multiplier when my 8350 idles. I don't know if dropping any of the other voltages would help with your CPU temp. You can search this forum for more answers as this question has been asked before.