[SOLVED] Underclocking/undervolting an FX6350

Mar 7, 2022
I'm pretty new to the overclock/undervolting scene, so I wanted some guidance on how I can undervolt/underclock my fx6350.

The reason for this is that my mobo (asus m5a78l-lx plus) is having problems while running at 3.9 ghz (base speed of fx6350). It throttles the cpu every 5 seconds when under any sort of load, so if Im playing any game, I would see a massive fps drop.
By googling I found out that apparently my motherboard has a 95W tdp while the fx6350 has a 125W tdp, and so I was recommended to undervolt it.

Any help at all would be appreciated! And yes, I will change my pc soon once I have the funds.

Solution
I'm pretty new to the overclock/undervolting scene, so I wanted some guidance on how I can undervolt/underclock my fx6350.

The reason for this is that my mobo (asus m5a78l-lx plus) is having problems while running at 3.9 ghz (base speed of fx6350). It throttles the cpu every 5 seconds when under any sort of load, so if Im playing any game, I would see a massive fps drop.
By googling I found out that apparently my motherboard has a 95W tdp while the fx6350 has a 125W tdp, and so I was recommended to undervolt it.

Any help at all would be appreciated! And yes, I will change my pc soon once I have the funds.
Undervolting may induce instability or even increase amperage at VRM and that's real problem with VRM.
You can try with...

Undervolting may induce instability or even increase amperage at VRM and that's real problem with VRM.
You can try with manual voltage setting though, many BIOS versions tend to set voltage too high in the name of "stability" when left on auto. As all CPUs are not created equal, you may need to experiment by setting voltage to 1,4v, test and lower (by 0.05v steps) until it becomes unstable.
I'm not fully familiar with that MB but look at it's manual and/or BIOS for "negative voltage offset) and also set for -0.05v steps.
If all fails you may have to limit boost or frequency by setting it bellow that trouble point. Easiest way is to modify in windows "Maximum Processor frequency" in Power plan you are using to less than 99%. ))% would limit it to base speed and lower you go with it lower frequency it would run at.
All of that may lower CPU performance.

Solution
Mar 7, 2022
You can try with manual voltage setting though, many BIOS versions tend to set voltage too high in the name of "stability" when left on auto. As all CPUs are not created equal, you may need to experiment by setting voltage to 1,4v, test and lower (by 0.05v steps) until it becomes unstable.
I'm not fully familiar with that MB but look at it's manual and/or BIOS for "negative voltage offset) and also set for -0.05v steps.
If all fails you may have to limit boost or frequency by setting it bellow that trouble point. Easiest way is to modify in windows "Maximum Processor frequency" in Power plan you are using to less than 99%. ))% would limit it to base speed and lower you go with it lower frequency it would run at.
All of that may lower CPU performance.
Thank you for the reply, and apologies for the late response from my side, I experimented with the voltages as you said and thankfully everything is stable now, no more fps drops. Running at 1.250v and 3.50ghz (although i think it can be optimized more, its pretty stable at these settings so I might not change it)