underclocking vs overclocking?

breedalot

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
what is better buying higher rated ram and underclocking it or lower rated and overclocking it?

i am thinking of ddr but would be intrested about ddr2 as well?

purely from a performance point of view!

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
maybe you underclock it so the bus rates match up...?

...or so it lasts longer? wouldn't that theoretically make components survive longer?

meh, i don't know. although the original poster said "from a performance point of view," implying that he/she cares not about price, i'd say that oc'ing would be better price/performance. although i too am a little confused. wait till the experts hit this thread.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
...or so it lasts longer? wouldn't that theoretically make components survive longer?

Their longevitiy depends entirely on the voltage you use. For DDR2, 2.4v will get you 5+ years, enough until the warranty wear out. Thats why I like OCZ alot, their EVP lets you use up to 2.325v and still be covered by their lifetime warranty.

@ the OP
Its all about the chips. For example if you want DDR2 667 CL3 you could also get 800 CL4 or 1000 CL5, they all will be using the same chips and the two latter ones should reach 666 CL3.
OCing always has proven a better $/performance than underclocking.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Their longevitiy depends entirely on the voltage you use. For DDR2, 2.4v will get you 5+ years, enough until the warranty wear out. Thats why I like OCZ alot, their EVP lets you use up to 2.325v and still be covered by their lifetime warranty.

@ the OP
Its all about the chips. For example if you want DDR2 667 CL3 you could also get 800 CL4 or 1000 CL5, they all will be using the same chips and the two latter ones should reach 666 CL3.
OCing always has proven a better $/performance than underclocking.

oooooh, right. voltage is what gets ya. i need to remember that :)

and i assume there isn't much difference with ddr1, which the OP was asking about also? would the "safe" voltage be lower, probably?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Im not a DDR expert but yes the same priciple applies. Not with the same number of course since DDR 400 uses 2.5v~2.6v wich would degradate DDR2 800.
The safest you can be is what your warranty covers.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Underclocking the ram to match the processor and tightening the timings will probably give you better performance and be easier to do with less voltage, but it will cost more. Underclocking is a lot easier then overclocking, and if you're overclocking your FSB and RAM at the same time you have to do extra testing to try and see which one needs more voltage to go faster if you're trying to keep them 1:1. You also become limited by whichever one is slower. With fast ram you could, for example, set the ram to ~800 with relaxed timings and leave it there until you've found the FSB you want to use, then drop the ram down to match it and tighten the timings (1:1 ram at the tightest timings you can get is supposed to give the best performance). I don't have much hands-on experience with the latetest sockets or DDR2 though, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

What chip it is does matter more then how fast the OEM says it will go. Some of the really high-end stuff goes through extra testing and is speed-binned, but you pay a huge premium to have them test it for you. If you do the research and get the right chips you can be fairly sure of how fast they will go and just overclock a more mundane model (that's all the OEM does, they just have fancier equipment to do it with).