[SOLVED] Underclocking with MSI Afterburner doesn't work

Aug 7, 2021
I underclocked my R9 270X GPU (Core Clock 700MHz, Memory Clock 1000MHz)
with MSI Afterburner, but whenever I play any video in Chrome or with PotPlayer core clock and memory clock both go beyond limits I set (as seen in the picture below).

Capture.png

I don't know if that's normal behaviour but then changing the clock speed is pointless... I would really appreciate any help with this.

Last edited:
I underclocked my R9 270X GPU (Core Clock 700MHz, Memory Clock 1000MHz)
with MSI Afterburner and whenever I play a video with my Chrome Browser or with PotPlayer core clock and memory clock both go beyond limits I set (as seen in the picture).

Capture.png

I don't know if that's normal behaviour but then changing clock speed is pointless... I would really appreciate any help with this.
Why are you trying to slow it down? And the best way to adjust the temp of this card is to replace the thermal paste it's known to be terrible

Reactions: Marco923
Aug 7, 2021
Why are you trying to slow it down? And the best way to adjust the temp of this card is to replace the thermal paste it's known to be terrible
It doesn't have problems with overheating. I had some other issues with GPU recently and аs far as I'm aware, underclocking will help me preserve it better. Also, I don't use it for anything demanding, which is why it makes sense to underclock it.

It doesn't have problems with overheating. I had some other issues with GPU recently and аs far as I'm aware, underclocking will help me preserve it better. Also, I don't use it for anything demanding, which is why it makes sense to underclock it.
If that's the case then make sure all drivers are upto date and Afterburner installed right if it has any issues it won't hold it clock rate

Reactions: Marco923
Aug 7, 2021
If that's the case then make sure all drivers are upto date and Afterburner installed right if it has any issues it won't hold it clock rate
All drivers are up to date and I tried with reinstalling MSI Afterburner few days ago, but it didn't help... Installation process didn't indicate any errors.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS