Question Underperforming gaming laptop (Lenovo Ideapad, AMD Ryzen 7, Geforce GTX 1650)

May 8, 2023
Hi there

First message here, I found this forum looking for a solution with my laptop. I've read interesting discussions but nothing that helps me. And well... I'm not very experienced in this kind of subjects.

So... my computer is supposed to be a decent gaming one: Lenovo Ideapad 3, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Ti, 16Gb RAM, a 256 Gb SSD disk + a 1Gb HDD, a AMD Ryzen 7 CPU. Problem: it's very slow at gaming, even after Windows being reset and upgraded to 11, and drivers updated (with Windows, then Driver Booster, then another whatever tool). I've passed Lenovo diagnostics without any issue (memory, hard drive...) and chkdsk returns nothing anormal too. The task manager stays very quiet, and the computer makes no noise. I have no issue typing this message.

Note that I've had blue screens on the first day. Since drivers are updated, I've had no more.

Yet according the Userbenchmark test, "Overall this PC is performing way below expectations (1st percentile)." https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61330078

Checking online, I found this page about underperforming computers: https://cpugpunerds.com/how-check-pc-underperforming
The first section concerns CPU.
1. High temperature: I've checked temperatures with HWiNFO and they look good (around 45 C)
2. Outdated drivers: my CPU driver look updated (Driver Microsoft 22621.1485, March 2023 right?). I've tried to update it with the AMD software, just in case, but it didn't change so I think I'm good.
3. Faulty Power Supply: well I don't know, how I am supposed to check that?

I've installed CPU-Z as proposed. In the CPU screen, "Core VID" is between 0.7 and 0.8 V, and the clocks Multiplier is x4 - so it looks more like their low performance example that the normal one, definitely, but it doesn't say why. The AC adapter is a standard 135W Lenovo adapter, that looks genuine.

In the CPU-Z Bench screen, the "CPU Multi thread" value is around *520* when laptop is plugged in, when the reference given for a Ryzen 7 is *3900*. When laptop is unplugged, the value falls to about 100 (and the computer is barely unusable).

Would you have any idea or piece of advice? Could it be a simply faulty CPU? What would you recommend me to do? (thanks!)

May 8, 2023
Thanks!
  • Yes I think so, but I'm going to check again.
  • The Performance tab in the Task Manager showed no activity with GPU0 (the Nvidia), only GPU1 (the AMD Radeon Graphics - so the iGPU, right?).
    • I've then opened the Nvidia Control Panel, and modified the global settings so that the "preferred graphics processor" is now Nvidia. It improved things quite a lot, as now according to userbenchmark I'm now in the 4th percentile :) https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61356310

May 8, 2023
Ok so I confirm Nvidia driver is updated. I tried to disable second HDD and the integrated graphic card, but it only made things worse.

Here are a few screenshots:

The Nvidia Control Panel

CPU-Z

There is this curious thing that when I unplug then replug the laptop, it seems to go faster, even if the CPU is still far from working at normal pace... Here is my last UserBenchmark this morning.

UserBenchmarks: Game 6%, Desk 24%, Work 6%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H - 7.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650-Ti (Mobile) - 33.8%
SSD: Umis RPJTJ256MEE1OWX 256GB - 50.3%
HDD: WD Blue 2.5" 1TB (2004) - 34.7%
RAM: Kingston LV32D4S2S8HD-8 2x8GB - 25.2%
MBD: Lenovo 82EY

Hey there,

So, firstly, don't use any 3rd party software for drivers. Get them from the Lenovo Or Nivdia (for GPU).

Then once you have confirmed that, you might check what bios you are running. If it's an old one, it's prob time to get an update which could solve the issue.

How old is the laptop? Prob 3+years? Have you cleaned it, free of dust and gunk?
What power plans are listed, and what one is chosen? Is their a Ryzen Balanced profile? If so, use this one. It will come with the latest chipset driver from Lenovo.

May 8, 2023
Thanks Roland Of Gilead. I haven't had time yet to work on it since your last message, I keep you posted when I do!

Thanks for your advice of not using third party driver updater, I didn't know. Looks like I'm good to uninstall/reinstall all the devices that are not Microsoft, that's right? Then go with Lenovo and Nvidia. Or if a reset Windows, are the drivers reset too?

May 8, 2023
Ok well... it's improving.

Rather than reinstalling the drivers one by one, I've simply reset Windows 11 + proceed the windows updates. And it has been spectacular at first glance: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61456285

The thing is that I still have blue screens when I push it. And when it's unplugged (or when the computer doesn't understand it's plugged?), the cpu falls and it becomes crazy low like before (then the computer makes no noise, as if the ventilation is stopped).

After a good hour or 2, we've had several consecutive blue screens, and CPU is now stuck again at 0.38 Ghz. Drivers are updated, CPU temperature is OK, I've tested several different power options, unplugging/plugging is useless (it apparently rises CPU speed for a few seconds, then it's back to 0.38).
Re-installing the AC Adapter in the Device Manager helped returning to a CPU normal speed.

Looks like I've either a very slow computer (stuck at 0.38 Ghz), or blue screens (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

Last thing I've done is to run the Memory Diagnostic Tool and nothing was detected...

Last edited:
May 8, 2023
Here is an update with the conclusion (I hope so!).
It looks like all the issues were coming from defective parts:
* the low CPU issue was linked to the battery. At some point, after multiple bluescreens and stop/restarts, the battery stopped working and is now marked as dead in Vantage software... Good news is that since then the CPU is always working well at full speed.
* the bluescreens were linked to the defective HDD.

Now that the battery and the second hard drive are disabled, my daughter has been able to play with the computer for 15+ hours without any new issue (fingers crossed).

256Gb is enough for her. She just has to pay attention to not unplug her computer while it's on.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Here is an update with the conclusion (I hope so!).
It looks like all the issues were coming from defective parts:
* the low CPU issue was linked to the battery. At some point, after multiple bluescreens and stop/restarts, the battery stopped working and is now marked as dead in Vantage software... Good news is that since then the CPU is always working well at full speed.
* the bluescreens were linked to the defective HDD.

Now that the battery and the second hard drive are disabled, my daughter has been able to play with the computer for 15+ hours without any new issue (fingers crossed).

256Gb is enough for her. She just has to pay attention to not unplug her computer while it's on.
Okay, that's a result! Well done on finding a solution. If you have any other issues, get back to us here, or drop me a PM

Reactions: h4stings

TRENDING THREADS