Question Underperforming GPU, only fix i found was to shut down and turn on again until fixed

Feb 13, 2019
Hi All,

I'm looking for some expertise on how my GPU is under performing. This has been ongoing for quite sometime (few years) but never gave any effort to fix this but just shutting down and turning on my computer again and again until my FPS is where it should be. I've recently air blowed my computer, and replaced my GPU to a GTX 1060 6GB from a GTX 970, however this situation still exist. My CPU temps look fine as well.

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Before shutdown benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14673044
After numerous shutdowns benchmark (sometimes only need one shutdown): https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14673373

Thanks everyone!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Have you run DDU yet? If no do that now...Have you reseated all your hardware? Thermal migration can cause some issues with stability and performance. Also have you tried a full re-install of windows? Lastly what are your full system specs, especially your PSU.

Feb 13, 2019
Thank you both for the responses!

Have you run DDU yet? Not yet. I'll try this tomorrow when I have time
Have you reseated all your hardware? What should i reseat?
Thermal migration can cause some issues with stability and performance. I've haven't touched my CPU since I installed it. Please see CPU temp link below.
Also have you tried a full re-install of windows? No I have not, should I? I'm still on windows 7, should I just go to windows 10?

Lastly what are your full system specs, especially your PSU.

Here are my specs:

Regarding my CPU temps during gaming. I've ran this on apex legends training mode (not sure if this helps). I can see that my FPS was not optimal (did not shut down yet).
View: https://imgur.com/a/fxR03FH

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The Processes tab is where you want to look. You want to watch for processes hogging CPU resources. If for no reason something is using 100% CPU (or close to it), then you will want to investigate why. On the bright side, there doesn't seem to be anything funny going on at the time you took the screenshot. Although 0% usage seems almost too low. Is that a clean install? o_O

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
This is one of those cases where when nothing obvious is staring me in the face, I grab a spare hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows and see what happens. If the new install works like gold I count my chips and start fresh.

BTW... "GX" as in Lexus?

Feb 14, 2019
I suggest using MSI Afterburner to check the CPU and GPU usage WHILE GAMING and if your GPU is running low, this means you have a bottleneck. Also check and make sure all of your CPU cores are unparked, if you don't know how to check there are thousands of tutorials all over the place.

Good luck :)

Feb 13, 2019
Looking back at my userbenchmarks, it looks like when my gpu is under performing, my hard drive is also under performing? Is there some correlation here?

Edit: Nevermind - ran a few more tests after unsuccessful shutdowns to get my GPU frames higher https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14729750 doesn't look like my harddrive does anything to video card

I have unparked my cpu, it doesn't look like anything changed.

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Sorry I didn't reply sooner...I would reseat your hardware still. By that I mean disconnect and reconnect all PSU cables, pull out and then reinstall your ram and PCIe cards, disconnect and reattach all SATA data cables as well. Basically anything the uses electricity and/or transmits data that has a connection that can be "broken" physically. These are the places thermal migration gets you. It slowly pushes things apart from the heating and cooling of the metal contacts/PCBs/etc. When pushed far enough apart the voltages get unreliable and potentially create hard to detect issues like this.

Anyways a fresh windows install might be advised if that doesn't work. I would also consider a bare bones install if nothing else seems to work. Meaning you need pull your everything out of the case (PSU, motherboard, SSD, HDD, etc everything you need to run the games your testing) and build it on a flat non-conductive surface to rule shorts/thermal migration (this time on the motherboard against the screw mounts). though this is the least likely of the bunch if I had to guess. Also I am guessing DDU made no difference but didn't see much beyond you would try it...