Question Underperforming GPU or PSU?

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I made a similar post a while back. In it, I detailed that I bought a pre-built (oof) https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883227875?Item=N82E16883227875 for the sake of saving some time as I had to move soon. However, I initially thought that the CPU was throttling my GPU's performance as I had some incorrect clock speeds for the CPU that were on my end. This helped my PC out for a while.

Now, however, my GPU is still wildly overheating despite fixing the clock speeds for my CPU. In fact, my computer performs fairly well using UserBenchmark with the exception of my GPU, which is in the 8th percentile of the 2080 Ti.

For example, I just played a game of Ground War in Modern Warfare, and I hit a maximum temperature of 86 despite playing in a 1920x1080 window and not even having the settings completely max'd.

In the previous thread I posted, I questioned the capability of the PSU, wondering if it was too little power and if it was throttling my GPU, though I'm not entirely sure if PSUs can even do that, or if they have any relation to GPU temperature. While that could be the case, it is worth noting that my PC's performance has gotten gradually worse; the average FPS in the games I play has been declining more and more recently while my GPU's temp has been going up and up, and I'm wondering if it's the GPU, PSU, or both.

I've tried plugging my GPU into a different port, cleaning my PC multiple times, anti-virus, different drivers, overclocking, etc. None of it has led to more stable performance on my GPU's end, and the amount of work the fans have to do is absurd. I can always hear my PC when I'm running any game that's slightly demanding because they practically run full speed just to prevent the GPU from overheating to the point wherein my PC automatically shuts down.

You actually have a very good setup but the big issue is cooling especially your case which just does not allow for good airflow at all. Your GPU and CPU are starved of airflow and the fans are having to work very hard just to get some air in because of the closed design with that case. I seriously would look at a better case like the Fractal Design Meshifi C (anything with a mesh front) which will work wonders on your temps.. What temps are you hitting with the RTX 2080Ti and is it throttling?

The 650w PSU should be enough but we have no idea what the model is and they may well have cheeped out big time...

I know it is a pain to change case but in this case with such good parts like a 9700K matched to a RTX 2080Ti, I would spend just a little more and get the airflow right to allow the CPU and GPU to really fly as both will overclock and even at stock they will still really work much better with a better case.

Last edited:

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
You actually have a very good setup but the big issue is cooling especially your case which just does not allow for good airflow at all. Your GPU and CPU are starved of airflow and the fans are having to work very hard just to get some air in because of the closed design with that case. I seriously would look at a better case like the Fractal Design Meshifi C (anything with a mesh front) which will work wonders on your temps.. What temps are you hitting with the RTX 2080Ti and is it throttling?

The 650w PSU should be enough but we have no idea what the model is and they may well have cheeped out big time...

I know it is a pain to change case but in this case with such good parts like a 9700K matched to a RTX 2080Ti, I would spend just a little more and get the airflow right to allow the CPU and GPU to really fly as both will overclock and even at stock they will still really work much better with a better case.
Would you mind telling me why exactly the airflow is so bad for the case? I'm not really aware of how all that works, admittedly. As for the the case you recommended as well, what would it do differently? Also, I don't know how to assuredly tell if the GPU is throttling. I think it isn't throttling, but is there a way I can know for sure?

Also, I tried removing the side panel to see if it'd help, but it had zero impact, so that leads me to question if air flow is even the issue, or if removing a side panel helps with air flow at all.

Last edited:
Would you mind telling me why exactly the airflow is so bad for the case? I'm not really aware of how all that works, admittedly. As for the the case you recommended as well, what would it do differently? Also, I don't know how to assuredly tell if the GPU is throttling. I think it isn't throttling, but is there a way I can know for sure?

Also, I tried removing the side panel to see if it'd help, but it had zero impact, so that leads me to question if air flow is even the issue, or if removing a side panel helps with air flow at all.

Hi, the case has a closed of front with just two small holes one at the bottom and one at the top for the fans to drag air in and loses 30% of the air pressure just from turns. As to removing the side panel, I agree the temps should be better....but again having air flow over the components is critical and that where having fans even if on low helps.

Can you remove the front panel from the case? This would allow the two front fans to work without any hinderance and might tell us whether air flow is the issue or not....

As an example, here is a review of a bad airflow case from Gamers Nexus..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJ_cpzfxvI