Question Underperforming MSI Armor 8G RTX 2070

about2changemyself

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Hey, I've had this computer for about two years now, and have always felt like the GPU has been underperforming since the start. My benchmark scores, when compared to those of similar systems, don't seem to stack up either. This is also reflected as underwhelming game performance.

My most recent 3DMark Time Spy benchmark (no oc): https://www.3dmark.com/spy/25546744
Another one from a few months ago (no oc): https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21853138
Here's a run with a small overclock, which seems to be the only way I can get even remotely close to average scores for my setup: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17708138

I've tried to remedy the problem by reinstalling my Windows on more than one occasion, as well as by using DDU to remove and install newer or older drivers for my graphics card. Windows power settings are at high performance. I've updated my BIOS to the latest revisions on several occasions which have not had an effect on my issue. Messing around with MSI Afterburner's temperature and core voltage limits seems to have a marginal effect on my scores.

Any and all help in analyzing these scores would be appreciated.

My full specs:
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V, DDR4 3600 MHz, CL16, 1.35V (XMP enabled, @ 3600)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Gold (SSR-550FX)
  • MOBO: Gigabyte X570 UD (Ultra Durable, BIOS F35)
  • STORAGE:
    • Samsung NVMe SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB (OS drive)
    • Kingston A400 1 TB
    • Kingston A400 500 GB

Last edited:
Can you run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here?

Other than the Kingston A400 that are dreamless SSDs which affects their performance, I don't see anything else standing out.

Can you give some examples of the performance you have in the games you play? That will help more. Frames, settings, resolution.

about2changemyself

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Can you run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here?

Other than the Kingston A400 that are dreamless SSDs which affects their performance, I don't see anything else standing out.

Can you give some examples of the performance you have in the games you play? That will help more. Frames, settings, resolution.
I'm playing in 1080p. Most of my performance hiccups come in the form of occasional stuttering and generally underwhelming framerates when compared to equal setups. I think the disparity is well highlighted in the 3DMark scores; where most other (not overclocked) setups are getting 9000-9500, I'm in the bottom tier with a score between 7500-7800, which never really sat right with me.

I'm playing in 1080p. Most of my performance hiccups come in the form of occasional stuttering and generally underwhelming framerates when compared to equal setups. I think the disparity is well highlighted in the 3DMark scores; where most other (not overclocked) setups are getting 9000-9500, I'm in the bottom tier with a score between 7500-7800, which never really sat right with me.
I agree it can be seen but don't forget that someone HAS to be at the lower end and that it's also a benchmark not a real time situation. Games do perform differently depending on resources used and coding from their programmers.

I was asking for userbenchmark because some issues can be identified from there, not to see the results and take them for granted as it's not trustworthy. Also I was asking specific framerates with settings and resolution in games because that's how the GPU is used by you, it's not bought to be used for benchmarking.

TRENDING THREADS