[SOLVED] Underperforming PC or Crazy Expectations?

rfreemanva

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
So I built my first PC about a year ago and have often wondered if it's underperforming or if I just have unrealistic expectations for my build. I find new things every day that I'm doing wrong. A month ago I realized I had been running my 144hz Predator at 60hz. Today I found out that I didn't click the right setting to get my RAM to its full potential. My biggest want is to keep my system running at least 144 FPS while gaming. I know 2k is going to hinder that a little but shouldn't this build be able to realistically reach that on titles like Destiny 2 and CoD MW? Let me know what you think!

i7 9700k (OC w/ Asus software)
Asus ROG 2080ti (OC w/ Asus software)
64gb G Skill 3200 RAM
ROG Strix Z390-E
Windows 10 Home

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/44436901

Solution
It might be worth testing FPS with your CPU at stock and OC'ed. Sometimes, if the OC isn't perfect it can cause FPS issues. The 9700k is a stellar gaming CPU. Although it's not hyper threaded CPU, the 8 cores are plenty for gaming. There are only one or two titles that can push more then 6 c/t. Plus the 9700k at normal boost is again stellar, and pushes pretty much max FPS. The difference in FPS with it's 4.9 boost and lets say a 5.1 OC are practically negligible. Your talking but a few FPS. What OC have you got on it now?
Reactions: rfreemanva

rfreemanva

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
Looking at your 3dmark results, you seem to be where I'd expect in terms of performance.

I think that's what I was really looking to hear. I know some games eat up my CPU like it's going out of style but overall this build has done most everything I've asked it too. I'll back some game settings down and see if I can't get them to stay in the 144fps range

It might be worth testing FPS with your CPU at stock and OC'ed. Sometimes, if the OC isn't perfect it can cause FPS issues. The 9700k is a stellar gaming CPU. Although it's not hyper threaded CPU, the 8 cores are plenty for gaming. There are only one or two titles that can push more then 6 c/t. Plus the 9700k at normal boost is again stellar, and pushes pretty much max FPS. The difference in FPS with it's 4.9 boost and lets say a 5.1 OC are practically negligible. Your talking but a few FPS. What OC have you got on it now?

Solution