Question Underperforming Radeon RX 6700

Sep 10, 2021
Hello,
Recently I bought a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6700 XT OC 12 GB graphics card. I was using it to replace my old MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super that broke while shipping my computer through UPS. Extensive damage was caused to the computer, including the CPU cooler (a CM Hyper 212 Evo) and the case being destroyed. The old GPU refused to boot up in 4 separate systems. I so I bought the 6700, and plugged it in and was getting AT BEST 30 FPS in the witcher 3 on HIGH settings, where with my old 1660 I was getting 60FPS on Ultra. I tried removing and redownloading drivers 3 separate times, I tried overclocking, underclocking, changing PCIe ports, overclocked my CPU, stress tested my CPU, monitored temps and usages, messed with every setting I new to look for, I even bought a new PSU (upgraded from 600W to 750W) thinking it wasn't getting enough power. I am completely out of ideas for what could be going on. Any suggestions?

Current System Specs:
CPU: AMD FX8320e
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6700 Xt OC 12GB
Motherboard: Asrock 970M Pro3
Ram: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU: EVGA 750W
Case: Fractal Design Define C Mini
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo

What parts are you re-using from the PC that was damaged in shipping? If the PC was dropped hard enough to break the GPU and CPU Cooler, there may have been damage to other components, which you are now trying to reuse. I would say this is especially the case if you are reusing the motherboard from the damaged PC. That motherboard most likely has damage to PCIe slots and the CPU socket, even if not visual.

Sep 10, 2021
What parts are you re-using from the PC that was damaged in shipping? If the PC was dropped hard enough to break the GPU and CPU Cooler, there may have been damage to other components, which you are now trying to reuse. I would say this is especially the case if you are reusing the motherboard from the damaged PC. That motherboard most likely has damage to PCIe slots and the CPU socket, even if not visual.
I am reusing the case, motherboard, cpu, and ram. I have tried both PCIe ports, neither performs better than the other. I would find it hard to believe that both got equally damaged. Damage to the cpu or port is definitely possible. Nothing that I know to look for has pointed to that but how might one check this?

Sep 10, 2021
After running CPU-Z benchmarks compared to online benchmarks from the same processor and program I am seeing less than half the numbers that should be showing up theoretically. Thus I believe you're right in the fact that it is my CPU, in fact after inspection there is even visual and physical damage to the processor. Hopefully a new processor is the last item that needs replacing. I've sunk WAY too much money into repairs already, including a new monitor, new cooler, new PSU, eventually I will need a new case, and a new printer. Nearly everything shipped in that box was destroyed. I will update final results with the new CPU

Do not buy a new FX series CPU. They are outdated and poor performers by modern standards. I also expect the mother board to be damaged, maybe internally. If the CPU cooler was broken, and the CPU itself has damage that means that 100%, without a doubt, the motherboard at least flexed a decent amount. This probably damaged it. Instead of spending more money on a new CPU and motherboard for an old outdated platform, upgrade to a newer AMD Ryzen or Intel system. It will be a much better choice than continuing with the FX platform. If you do buy just the CPU, I would not be surprised if you find you need another motherboard. Just skip that disappointing step, and go straight to a newer system. If you need to end up buying a CPU and motherboard, as I believe you will, it might as well be a newer set.

Sep 10, 2021
Do not buy a new FX series CPU. They are outdated and poor performers by modern standards. I also expect the mother board to be damaged, maybe internally. If the CPU cooler was broken, and the CPU itself has damage that means that 100%, without a doubt, the motherboard at least flexed a decent amount. This probably damaged it. Instead of spending more money on a new CPU and motherboard for an old outdated platform, upgrade to a newer AMD Ryzen or Intel system. It will be a much better choice than continuing with the FX platform. If you do buy just the CPU, I would not be surprised if you find you need another motherboard. Just skip that disappointing step, and go straight to a newer system. If you need to end up buying a CPU and motherboard, as I believe you will, it might as well be a newer set.
Good call, if I'm gonna put anymore money into this thing I might as well future proof it. No need to go back to last decades processors. I appreciate all your help man. Again, I'll try to update final results

I would recommend if you dont have the budget for a brand new CPU and motherboard, go try and find a used Ryzen 7 3700X and X570/B550/B450 motherboard. A Ryzen 5 3600X will be very good too. If you can get new, the Ryzen 5 or 7, and the Intel i5 and i7 are all decent options with their own benefits/downfalls depending on your price range.