[SOLVED] Underperforming Rtx 3070

May 5, 2021
Hi there, I am having major issues with my system that has been happening for a while now. My system is underperforming badly on all games with huge fps drops. I got an RTX 3070 in December and never saw much improvement from my old 1060. Not sure if it is software related, a bottleneck or simply something isn't right. SO would love some help. neither the gpu or cpu are at max utilisation.

Specs:
-Msi Rtx Gaming Tro 3070
-Ryzen 7 2700x
-Msi B450 Gaming Plus Max
-16Gb Corsair 3600Mhz but set to 3200 as max It will support
-Samsung 970 Evo
-Corsair Rm750x

Thanks for any replies and hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

Solution
Or just loading the wrong game profile for the card.

Also be sure to check the Nvidia control panel, every once in a while they will inadvertently turn on global settings that can effect performance.

One time they enabled 3D mode (stereoscopic) on Battlefield 4 on my system for some reason. I've heard others who had Dynamic Super Resolution turned on for them, so it was rendering everything in 4K.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, start with DDU and try from scratch. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Power supply should be good.

What are you using for the CPU cooler, is the CPU overheating?

2000 series might have issues getting to 3600Mhz, true, but shouldn't be anything preventing it to my knowledge. Minor though, if it is working at 3200Mhz, still decently fast for Ryzen. Assuming 2x8GB kit, if it is a single 16GB stick, that is a problem.

What is the size and capacity used on your 970 Evo? A full drive can prevent a lot of system performance as the system struggles to shuffle data around, perform TRIM, and run your swap file in a limited space.

May 5, 2021
Yes, Drivers are fully up t
Yep, start with DDU and try from scratch. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

2000 series might have issues getting to 3600Mhz, true, but shouldn't be anything preventing it to my knowledge. Minor though, if it is working at 3200Mhz, still decently fast for Ryzen. Assuming 2x8GB kit, if it is a single 16GB stick, that is a problem.

What is the size and capacity used on your 970 Evo? A full drive can prevent a lot of system performance as the system struggles to shuffle data around, perform TRIM, and run your swap file in a limited space.
I am currently

Currently trying a reinstall to see if it helps as I am not sure if i did it properly. The cooler is the NZXT Kraken So its pretty cool. The 970 evo is 1 TB and no where near full. If its possible to keep updating drivers via Geforce Experience for the wrong graphics card that could be the issue.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Also be sure to check the Nvidia control panel, every once in a while they will inadvertently turn on global settings that can effect performance.

One time they enabled 3D mode (stereoscopic) on Battlefield 4 on my system for some reason. I've heard others who had Dynamic Super Resolution turned on for them, so it was rendering everything in 4K.

Solution
May 5, 2021

I am setting them all to the best settings I can find, but still getting huge drops. I thought it could be the cpu as a bottleneck but that wouldn't cause huge drops would it?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I may very well be the case of inadequate ventilation in the case. The cooling solution on those trios sucks air from the case and spits most of it back into the case. When the gpu reaches certain temperature it will stop boosting and eventually throttle down.

Try running the same game you are familiar with with pc case side panel removed and see if there is a difference.

May 5, 2021
I may very well be the case of inadequate ventilation in the case. The cooling solution on those trios sucks air from the case and spits most of it back into the case. When the gpu reaches certain temperature it will stop boosting and eventually throttle down.

Try running the same game you are familiar with with pc case side panel removed and see if there is a difference.
Thank you for this suggestion I will try it and get back to you.

The one I have runs super cool, the highest I've seen it hit is 60 C it has a huge heatsink on it which weighs a ton!