Question Understand bottleneck

Thou shall not act rashly based on pure percentages or ratios pertaining to CPU/GPU usage...

Do you have an old i5 (all we can tell is that it is a quad core) and a GTX2070 or above?

Most quad cores are going to be pretty darn busy in most games within Win 10...so deciding any sort of bottleneck based on cpu utilization is a waste of time...

Mar 2, 2019
I have the following

i5 6500 Skylake
16GB DDR4 2400 Hyper X Ram
Msi GTX 1080 Aero 16gb GDDR5X
B150n Phoenix WiFi CF
Games on SSD
1440p 144hz monitor

So yes a few years old, I was thinking maybe make new Ryzen 2600 build ? or grab i7 7700 ? Am not sure which is best option it needs to keep me going few years again.

Hmm difficult choice. Ryzen needs a new motherboard and really 2400mhz RAM is too slow so you would want to upgrade that to get the full potential. Ryzen is significantly impacted by RAM speed unlike Intel. The 7700 is a decent step up but not sure how long it will last before you want to upgrade again. The 7700 is just behind an i5 8600/9600 and these i5’s are already being pushed hard in a few cpu heavy games when running high FPS.

Mar 2, 2019
Would the Ram work in Ryzen for the time being ? As in wait couple months upgrade ram not sure if can afford everything in one go.

Also if I get i7700 for time being is my mobo ok ?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
TBH i think You are fine with this CPU + graphics card for now.

It's not the end of the world, when some part bottlenecks. The question is, do You feel performance drops and does that bother You that much?

It will bottleneck sometimes, yes. 4 cores/threads is not enough in modern games? Perhaps yes, so? In one game You're gonna bottleneck CPU, in another title - GPU. So what?

You won't see much difference upgrading CPU, especially in 2K gaming.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
If You need upgrade and don't want to spend 500$ on new setup, just stay with what You have and try to sell Your i5. If You succeed, buy 6700K on it's place, install some decent cooling and overclock it. You'll be fine

Mar 2, 2019
Division 2 is out soon , want make sure can play with good FPS.

Dont think can overclock well with my motherboard if at all and not something I be confident doing.