Question Understanding motherboard audio ports in/out ?

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Hello everyone.

Please, I would like to ask as follows:

It's about sound jacks that all motherboards have. What it is each one of them (in general (I know not each of them have same jacks), how they work in O/Ss (mainly I am interested in Windows), relationship of these with BIOS.

If I have installed them correctly, what then should I make to check/make it work on an installed application on Windows (e.g. having Viber installed, what is the checking). How could I see what devices are nice and compatible in order to buy? e.g. in Viber, what is a microphone and speakers I could buy in order to use Viber? If I buy these peripherals, how could I check them in application?

And what about laptops? They have both jacks and cameras/microphones built-in. In this case, something different a user should do to make them work in apps?

By all the above, you have understood I want to take a good detailed knowledge on this audio stuff.
For a beginner like me, that wants to see a full history/tutorial about this sound evolution, is there here in forum some link you could suggest me? Or any other detail link?

Thank you for your time!

Which input do you wish to use? follow the procedure for the input.
Try it, does it work?
For hardware recommendations look to makers of the software app - they have favorites that work well.
You need to know the input hardware specs - computer specs- software specs and finally the output stuff.
What have you got.

Reactions: johnyb98