[SOLVED] Understanding PCIe slots

Industromaxx

Prominent
Jan 8, 2022
I have a 5950x on an Asus X570 Crosshair 8 Extreme. I have four gen 3 M.2s on the board, 2 of them aren't detected due to not enough lanes as the 5950x supports 24 lanes. If I were to use an expansion card for the 4 M.2s and put them in a x8 slot, would it cause my x16 slot (which my gpu is in) to split due to the website saying x8/x8? Furthermore, if the expansion card is in an x8 slot would each M.2 run at x2? If that's the case, if I were to put the 4 m.2s in raid, would it make up for the performance loss?

Last edited:
I have a 5950x on an Asus X570 Crosshair 8 Extreme. I have four gen 3 M.2s on the board, 2 of them aren't detected due to not enough lanes as the 5950x supports 24 lanes. If I were to use an expansion card for the 4 M.2s and put them in a x8 slot, would it cause my x16 slot (which my gpu is in) to split due to the website saying x8/x8? Furthermore, if the expansion card is in an x8 slot would each M.2 run at x2? If that's the case, if I were to put the 4 m.2s in raid, would it make up for the performance loss?
Two last M.2 slots are only SATA so NVMe wouldn't work in them. That leaves you with only 3 NVME slots available,

Alright thank you, the 4 M.2s I'm using are the 2tb 970 evo plus
To install 4 M.2 NVME drives on your board, you have to switch PCIE x16 slot to x8 operation mode. There's no other way.
Then you can use 3 M.2 slots on board and plus 2 M.2 slots on DIMM.2 card (5 NVME drives total).

If you absolutely need PCIE x16 slot to be in x16 operation mode, then you can have max 3 NVME drives -
one in M.2_1 and two in DIMM.2 slot.

Industromaxx

Prominent
Jan 8, 2022
To install 4 M.2 NVME drives on your board, you have to switch PCIE x16 slot to x8 operation mode. There's no other way.
Then you can use 3 M.2 slots on board and plus 2 M.2 slots on DIMM.2 card (5 NVME drives total).

If you absolutely need PCIE x16 slot to be in x16 operation mode, then you can have max 3 NVME drives -
one in M.2_1 and two in DIMM.2 slot.
Alright, appreciate the help.