Undervolting 1080 Ti

tudorcardei

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I want to know If it is possible to undervolt an 1080Ti to match the performance of an 1050Ti/1060 and also If there will be any issues If I undervolt

Solution
Sorry, didn't attached the link:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/

The EVGA 600B is Tier E so its quality isn't great. Go for Tier C at least.

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
you can lower the power limit with msi afterburner effectively dropping the power consumption but it should be barely able to scrap by with that power supply, also wwhy not just spend 100$ and get A 700W? you should be able to afford it because you have a 1080ti

Phazoner

Distinguished
That PSU is absolute crap, I wont even use it with a 1080 Ti as if it just dies that can damage the 1080Ti. As said, you can limit the power draw but please, just buy a new and decent PSU. It's like having a Ferrari and driving it only in low speeds roads in the first gear: You are just not enyoing it and are paying a lottery to totally screw the engine.

Phazoner

Distinguished
That's a good budget. Just pick one from the tier list link I'm attaching. In my opinion, Tier E is the minimum quality I would ever buy. Tier D are more acceptable, and Tier C is where the good PSUs start. As the 1080 Ti is a high spec graphics card, I would get at least a Tier C PSU, and you need at least a 600W PSU. Don't go nuts with the PSU capabilities, being at least Tier C between 600 and 700W is enough.

You should find Seasonic M12II or S12II 620W, that should be more then ok for your build and it is relatively cheap 250-350 RON.

Here https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/seasonic/s12ii-620-bronze-620w/

Had one of this on my 6700k and r9 290x but with 520W, no problems 4 years then upgarded my system to crossfire 290x and had to go with m12II 850W and used it for about 3 years. Still have those PSUs and they are still working perfectly.
Also what i recommended to you is in another league compared to deepcool, go with seasonic you cannot go wrong. Also Corsair, EVGA and others have good models but not all of them are good quality.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Both the Deepcool and Seasonic are great choices. If your case is a standard ATX case there shouldn't be any problem to fit it. You should only be aware to check if your PC is SFF, Mini-ITX or Micro-ATX, or if your PC has the PSU in a strange side, but usually you shouldn't have a problem.

Not true, uses cheap caps and has lots of ripple, more then double compared to s12II line.
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/deepcool-dq750-st-psu-review/6/

On 12V line Deepcool has max 75mv ripple while seasonic on 12v line has max 30mv.

Phazoner

Distinguished
I'm not a PSU expert, just trusted the tier list. If you are sure that the Seasonic is better then he should go for it, but I also ask you to explain this at linustechtips so they can improve the tier list, as it makes no sense for the Seasonic to be in the Tier D while the Deepcool in the Tier C.

The Deepcool is newer which has DC-DC (theoretically) more stable voltage while Seasonic is an older generation which doesnt have this new feature but it is a very very well build unit with high grade components, you can watch any review which says it uses japanese caps (which are the best) also a 620W unit can go up to 750-800W for a short period of time before entering in protection mode and shuting down while deepcool goes only 7w over the 750W which is made to provide.
Overall, deepcool uses cheap caps and components compared to seasonic this is my main reason even if deepcool is gold and seasonic is bronze this doesnt reflect quality, it only reflects efficiency, seasonic uses much much better quality components.