[SOLVED] Undervolting 3090 for daily computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazySajan

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
I spend a lot of time using Word, excel, cloud services (nothing video editing related stuff) - just basic computing and I have read that even than RTX 3090 needs a lot of power. I was thinking about undervolting it to save on energy bill ( my wife gives me hard time ).
I don't need anything precise like special undervolting for gaming. What do you think about going with:
- minus 500 mhz on clock
-set power limit for 75% maybe

Those settings will be only applied for my work. If I start gaming, I will change it for my gaming profile.
Should I go lower, or maybe change some other settings.
What do you think?

Solution
As @Phaaze88 said, it already has a low power state to run such tasks. Every GPU has one. Undervolting usually is done by lowering the voltage at specific clock speeds and it shows the biggest potential and outcome when the GPU is used at heavy loads when the power consumption is very high and for a big amount of time.

It won't help saving 1-2W per hour usage in the low power state when you can save 30-80W or even more depending on how low you want to go, with full load.

Assuming 0.11€ per kW and 4 hours of gaming at highest power consumption a day (overkill), you may save 0.39-1.05€ per month, without taxes. So, even then, not so money saver. It's usually done to have the GPU run at lower temperature and for better...
As @Phaaze88 said, it already has a low power state to run such tasks. Every GPU has one. Undervolting usually is done by lowering the voltage at specific clock speeds and it shows the biggest potential and outcome when the GPU is used at heavy loads when the power consumption is very high and for a big amount of time.

It won't help saving 1-2W per hour usage in the low power state when you can save 30-80W or even more depending on how low you want to go, with full load.

Assuming 0.11€ per kW and 4 hours of gaming at highest power consumption a day (overkill), you may save 0.39-1.05€ per month, without taxes. So, even then, not so money saver. It's usually done to have the GPU run at lower temperature and for better overclocking (lower temps, help the GPU to auto OC even higher).

Solution
I agree with the above.

I also will point out that if your wife is concerned about your energy bill (mine is too lol) while undervolting your 3090 wont make much difference, you'll see bigger savings over time with a highly efficient power supply. If your current PSU is Bronze or Gold rated, stepping up to a Titanium rated PSU means more power makes it directly to your system and less is wasted unnecessarily. I personally use a Corsair AX1000.

Reactions: CrazySajan

CrazySajan

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
Thanks everyone for response.
I did undervolt it already on higher clocks, and my PSU is Gold.
I won't do any changes on lower clocks then.

BTW....Love that card:)
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS