[SOLVED] Undervolting a GPU to reduce power usage for a weak PSU

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
I have a EVGA GTX 660 SC GPU, and a new 500W generic PSU, which lacks a 6 pin cable for the GPU so I had to buy a molex to 6 pin adapter to power it, but when I load a game, and the power usage reaches the high on the GPU, it will reboot, will I be able to reduce some settings such as voltage and power usage as to sacrifice some performance to make this work? Also, further note I'm not looking to upgrade the PSU as I won't be using this PC for that long perhaps only for 4 months more and I'll get rid of it because it's old.

Solution
I have a EVGA GTX 660 SC GPU, and a new 500W generic PSU, which lacks a 6 pin cable for the GPU so I had to buy a molex to 6 pin adapter to power it, but when I load a game, and the power usage reaches the high on the GPU, it will reboot, will I be able to reduce some settings such as voltage and power usage as to sacrifice some performance to make this work? Also, further note I'm not looking to upgrade the PSU as I won't be using this PC for that long perhaps only for 4 months more and I'll get rid of it because it's old.

This is like having a heart attack and asking if, instead of going to the hospital, ask if you can instead just walk slower than you normally would.

This isn't safe under any condition. Do not do this. Get...

DSzymborski

Titan

This is like having a heart attack and asking if, instead of going to the hospital, ask if you can instead just walk slower than you normally would.

This isn't safe under any condition. Do not do this. Get the proper PSU for the needed usage, not garbage.

Solution