Question Undervolting A PC

sashabelle

Prominent
Jan 2, 2019
So, recently I have been watching some YouTube videos because I am going to upgrade my PC.

I am going as small with my PC as possible, I need it to be able to move easily because I move around every year and want something easier to carry than I have now. So I watched a video by Optimum Tech
View: https://youtu.be/c29U_FnyNIM
, about his 2080 TI thermal throttling, his solution, in the end, was to undervolt his GPU making it run quieter and cooler. So I was browsing my YouTube feed and I saw a video that piqued my interest, a video titled "We built a PC more efficient than a console!"
View: https://youtu.be/-d8gcfbjoZM
by Linus Tech Tips . I watched it and noticed something at 8:40, they said and I quote,

"it reaches nearly 95% efficiency just as importantly we need a power supply capable of rock stable power delivery for how low our voltages are any appreciable amount of ripple or poor regulation even if it's inspect could cause momentary voltage droops that could render our machine unstable or otherwise require us to bump the voltages up".

So I was wondering to what extent this would be a problem that I will face? The build will be an RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb DDR4 3200mhz Ram, an m.2 drive and a 2.5 inch 5400rpm HDD. This build will go into the Velka 3, a case that needs an ATX Flex PSU, I will be going with an 80 Plus Gold SilverStone Flex ATX Power Supply. So to clarify will undervolting with a Flex PSU make my build unstable or should I be fine, or would it be even worth messing with?

Generally, ripple is not a major concern when stability testing as while It can indeed effect stability, its usually only within a small margin.

I cannot find any reviews of that PSU that measure ripple, but i would assume average or slightly above.

If you are only undervolting a bit and not going for the maximum undervolt, don't worry about it. Either way, stress the CPU+GPU thoroughly to ensure stability.

Reactions: sashabelle

sashabelle

Prominent
Jan 2, 2019
Generally, ripple is not a major concern when stability testing as while It can indeed effect stability, its usually only within a small margin.

I cannot find any reviews of that PSU that measure ripple, but i would assume average or slightly above.

If you are only undervolting a bit and not going for the maximum undervolt, don't worry about it. Either way, stress the CPU+GPU thoroughly to ensure stability.
Thank you for the answer, sir/ma'am,

I understand and this does put me at ease, thank you