El_8__Diablo

Reputable
May 1, 2017
Hey guys! So i tried undervolting my laptop which has following specs-
processor- intel(R) Core (TM) i5 7200U cpu @2.50ghz 2.71 ghz
Ram- 12gb
Intel gpu- 620
Graphics- Nvidia 940mx 2gb ddr3
I tried undervolting cpu nd cpu cache but cant able to find suitable stable values. If anyone has any knowledge regarding this or jas done same to his or her laptop with same specs, can you help?

Solution
Hey man thanks for the reply! Really i was on the brink of being mad. And i am using throttlestop. Nd i tried this method nd the bench mark tests are not working for me i mean they show no issues but when i play mafia 3 it crashes after some time i am on -75 right now in cpu and cache both it worked for 30 min or so but the laptop crashed after that does that mean i have to go lower?

For now I would reduce your cache to -40 (let's say). Test again (in a game) see if it crashes. If it doesn't then try to slowly increase Core undervolt only.

Yes, you are correct, you can leave the iGPU undervolt until last if you wish.

edit: For your system and testing, it might be a good idea to set your speedshift to 120 or so. A lower the...
Hey there,

That's a tricky one. All CPU's are different, so really you will have to try and determine that yourself. What are you using to undervolt? TS or Intel XTU?

With that said, there are some guidelines you can use.

Undervolt CPU in increments of -25mv. You could try a starting point of -80mv for core. Typically the cache should be roughly a little over half of the core value (at least this works for me). You can also undervolt the Intel iGPU, but not more than about 45-50mv.

You will need to test as you go. Throttlestop has a built in bench that is useful for testing changes.

The good thing is, undervolting won't damage your laptop. You may get crashes, but that's okay, because you will be expecting this.

If you get a crash, back the last thing you changed off 5mv. Then test again. You will eventually find what works for your chip.

I've an i7 9750h. My undervolts are as follows:

Core -180mv
Cache - 121.5
iGPU -49mv

These numbers most likely will not work with your CPU. But I'm illustrating them just as points of reference.

Reactions: El_8__Diablo

El_8__Diablo

Reputable
May 1, 2017
Hey there,

That's a tricky one. All CPU's are different, so really you will have to try and determine that yourself. What are you using to undervolt? TS or Intel XTU?

With that said, there are some guidelines you can use.

Undervolt CPU in increments of -25mv. You could try a starting point of -80mv for core. Typically the cache should be roughly a little over half of the core value (at least this works for me). You can also undervolt the Intel iGPU, but not more than about 45-50mv.

You will need to test as you go. Throttlestop has a built in bench that is useful for testing changes.

The good thing is, undervolting won't damage your laptop. You may get crashes, but that's okay, because you will be expecting this.

If you get a crash, back the last thing you changed off 5mv. Then test again. You will eventually find what works for your chip.

I've an i7 9750h. My undervolts are as follows:

Core -180mv
Cache - 121.5
iGPU -49mv

These numbers most likely will not work with your CPU. But I'm illustrating them just as points of reference.
Hey man thanks for the reply! Really i was on the brink of being mad. And i am using throttlestop. Nd i tried this method nd the bench mark tests are not working for me i mean they show no issues but when i play mafia 3 it crashes after some time i am on -75 right now in cpu and cache both it worked for 30 min or so but the laptop crashed after that does that mean i have to go lower?

El_8__Diablo

Reputable
May 1, 2017
Also about i gpu i should try undervolt it after find sweet spot for cpu and cache right? Cuz otherwise i wont know whats causing my laptop to crash cpu or igpu nd what about igpu slice?

For now I would reduce your cache to -40 (let's say). Test again (in a game) see if it crashes. If it doesn't then try to slowly increase Core undervolt only.

edit: For your system and testing, it might be a good idea to set your speedshift to 120 or so. A lower the number here means your cpu will stick to it's max clocks, pretty much all the times.

So if it's set low, it could be putting undue stress on CPU. Speedshift settings go like this:

60 - Clockspeed will be max all of the time.
120 - Clockspeed will cycle up and down to try and be efficient
200+ - Clockspeed will always try to downclock.

Reactions: El_8__Diablo
Solution

El_8__Diablo

Reputable
May 1, 2017

edit: For your system and testing, it might be a good idea to set your speedshift to 120 or so. A lower the number here means your cpu will stick to it's max clocks, pretty much all the times.

So if it's set low, it could be putting undue stress on CPU. Speedshift settings go like this:

60 - Clockspeed will be max all of the time.
120 - Clockspeed will cycle up and down to try and be efficient
200+ - Clockspeed will always try to downclock.
I hVe my speed shift - 128 is that okay?

El_8__Diablo

Reputable
May 1, 2017
Yeah, that's fine. The idea is a low number below 60 will keep the clockspeed at max. In the middle at 120/128 it's an even balance between clocking up or down based on load. Then above 200 for generally low clocks most of th etime.

128 is fine for balance.
You have been really helpfull mate. But theres only one issue remaining i.e while playing games my cpu gets stuck at 402mhz randomly everything slows down untill it gets back up? Any ideas why this is happening?

You have been really helpfull mate. But theres only one issue remaining i.e while playing games my cpu gets stuck at 402mhz randomly everything slows down untill it gets back up? Any ideas why this is happening?

No worries. Glad to help.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure on that one. It could be Throttlestop has a glitch, or a setting is causing it.

Note down all your settings, and clear TS off completely, and do the settings over. You do this by going to the folder for TS, delete the .ini file. Then 'shut down' your PC. Not a restart. You need to shut down completely. Then turn on laptop again, and all your settings should be cleared. Then re-enter the ones you've noted down. Hopefully that will stop you CPU from clocking at 400mhz.