Question Undervolting CPU and overclock

Jul 26, 2020
I undervolted my asus rog strix g531gt-bq024t using intel xtu to -140mV and it worked perfect. but i don't know how after applying default settings it only set core offset to 0.00mV but it also changed other values like turbo boost power max etc. NOW it's behaving insane and gpu is working like overclocked crossing its boost clock . I have no idea what should i do now . After applying default profile by intel xtu cpu clockspeed is set at 4000mhz and the gpu is overclocked at 1935mhz and its heating too much and laptop makes so much noise. Please help
Laptop Specs-
I5 9300h 2.40ghz turbo boost 4.10ghz
Ram 8×1gb ddr4 2666mhz
256 m.2 nvme ssd + 1tb hdd
Nvidia gtx 1650 GDDR5 4gb

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Intel's XTU did you use to perform your undervolt or did you use Throttle Stop? Also, were you on the latest BIOS version for the laptop? I know that you're no longer allowed to undervolt or manipulate the CPU's voltages after Windows 10 introduced an update to prevent such.

Regardless, I'd be interested to know how you got to -140...was it done gradually in decrements of 10 or 5 perhaps?

Reactions: Swapnild
Jul 26, 2020
I used the latest version of intel xtu and performed undervolting by directly setting core offset to -140mV and it worked fine but when i applied default profile by intel xtu then it set offset to 0mV but changed the value of turbo boost power max to 70w but laptop became insane so i reduced the value to 45w but no change the only thing is both gpu and cpu got overclocked

Jul 26, 2020
I already did but nothing happened.

I also changed values of turbo boost power max and short power max but no effect.
Does uninstalling intel xtu and then resetting bios to defaults solve this problem?

Jul 26, 2020
I have no idea what XTU really does whether it just chages values which can be set to default by uninstall and setting bios to defaults or it deletes defaults bios from manufacturer and saves its own that's why I'm nervous uninstalling XTU. I have never did undervolting and Overclocking before and I'm new.

Jul 26, 2020
I don’t see how uninstalling it can make things any worse. You can try customer support but I expect they will just say reset the laptop to an earlier point or back to new.
Uninstall Xtu encase it’s overriding the BIOS when Windows boots. Resetting the BIOS should do it.
I uninstalled the XTU and did bios reset to defaults but nothing changed. I'm still getting same problem. Please help

Does XTU also alter default bios from manufacturer ? And is it possible to reset them back to manufacturer defaults if XTU make changes after overclock and how?
XTU alters the BIOS from Windows but it is the BIOS that controls these settings. Resetting the BIOS should set everything back to stock settings but it doesn’t seem to have worked and I don’t know why. At this point I’m guessing as I would have expected default settings to have worked. You could try reinstalling the BIOS but this has risks even if small because if anything goes wrong it could stop the laptop from working completely.

Jul 26, 2020
I uninstalled XTU and set bios to defaults then i saw there is intel XTU folder in c:<program data<intel<intel xtu which is running in background by another program which contains logs and profiles, I tried to delete but i can't. Is that causing a problem and will resetting the laptop completely and setting bios to defaults solve this problem?

TRENDING THREADS