Undervolting GPU; get back to work after a crash without a reboot

a_ill

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hello!
I have a laptop with an MX150 which heats up quite a lot, so I decided do undervolt it. I am using a frequency/voltage curve in the MSI Afterburner to do it. I decided to test each node separately to get the maximum voltage/frequency ratio. The problem is, when during a stress test I encounter an unstable voltage, then GPU locks up and stops responding. However, since I am using an integrated GPU for my laptop needs and turn a dedicated GPU only to handle stress tests, then I still stay in the OS. To get the MX150 working again I need to reboot. Is there any way to get the MX150 working again without a reboot?

Solution
Okay, I found a solution. I noticed that if you edit the voltage/frequency curve while running a stress test (unigine heaven in my case), then the stress test crashes when you reach an unstable point, but a GPU still remains responsive, so you can continue trying different values.
Results for my MX150 were more than impressive. 231 mV undervolt for a max frequency is just incredible. Also it decreased its temperatures under a max load from 75 degrees Celsius to just 60.
Optimised.png

The top curve is an obtained curve and the bottom one is a default curve.

a_ill

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Okay, I found a solution. I noticed that if you edit the voltage/frequency curve while running a stress test (unigine heaven in my case), then the stress test crashes when you reach an unstable point, but a GPU still remains responsive, so you can continue trying different values.
Results for my MX150 were more than impressive. 231 mV undervolt for a max frequency is just incredible. Also it decreased its temperatures under a max load from 75 degrees Celsius to just 60.
Optimised.png

The top curve is an obtained curve and the bottom one is a default curve.

Solution